Feeling lost on best ventilation choice

luz624

Hello,

I am not particularly clued up on the technical world of ventilation, so please bear with me... I have been feeling quite stressed trying to figure out an optimal ventilation system.
I am completely renovating my 70m2 2-bedroom ground floor period conversion flat. As part of this, I will be adding decent insulation, using breather membranes, etc. 

While energy saving is important, for me it is definitely secondary to the health goals. I would primarily like to achieve - (1) optimal levels of humidity (to reduce chance of mould, as we have had this previously), and then (2) clean, filtered air (no VOCs, pollen, spores etc filtered out). 

I believe a MVHR system is the gold standard, and I am trying to see if that's possible to fit, however I am extremely limited on space. I am trying to see if I could fit in under the bathroom vanity and build a cupboard around it.. however I know that's going to be extremely tight. I think I could maybe get the main unit in, but I'm unsure about distribution boxes. 

Alternatively, I have briefly looked at dMEV in each of the wet areas - which could help (1) humidity levels. I would then have to ensure there's adequate ventilation through trickle vents etc in the rest of the property, and use a standalone air filter. 

I don't know much about PIV, and if this is an option? Though it looks like space would be an issue with that too. 

Any thoughts on best approach?

MVHR is a game changer in a flat - I have built 92 of then some with and some without. Never had a condensation whinge where we have installed it.

Solarcrest have done our stuff (and are doing my house although a 3,000 sq. ft. house doesn't really call for it tbh). Solarcrest supply, install and commission the lot with a 7 year warranty. Others seem to supply and point to a installer - there have been issues for some who have gone down this route.

• Like 1

Good to remember that there are rectangular ducts available and reduced size ( 75mm and 50mm ) round ducts too. CVC Direct supplied me with 225mm x 25mm for a project where we managed to hide the equivalent of 92mm round duct in the 35mm service void of an MBC TF build. Not a single bit of boxing in anywhere. They do supply only + design, or supply and fit and, I use them in both capacities with exceptionally good results. Great team and a fantastic pre / after sales support service too.

@luz624 Just read that it's for a flat here, so without plans to show rooms vs outside walls etc it's a little tricky to offer much more advice. Do you have plans you can upload?

• Like 1

The external walls are essentially at the front of the property (Victorian terrace), the W.C./shower area, and the extension where the kitchen area is. The rest of the walls are party walls with neighbours. My husband thinks a slimline MVHR unit could be wall mounted where I've marked in green (and then the planned kitchen units pushed in a little). And the unit either boxed into a kitchen cupboard, or a false wall type thing added with a concealed door for maintenance. 

The roof here will be a pitched roof, but I'm unsure how the ducting would fit into this (apologies again - all so new to me!)  Could the ducting run through the rafters/insulation.... or would we need a separate service void...? Sorry if that's a stupid question