Why are my LED flood lights semi-illuminated when off?

readiescards

13 hours ago, JSHarris said:

For an ELV installation like that then there's nothing in the regs that says an EIC is needed, so BC were out of order.  Common sense says there is still a fire risk, so over-current protection makes a lot of sense, but how on earth do you provide them with any meaningful test information for a 12V DC system?

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

You write a certificate with a lot on LIM or N/A and they accept it because all they want is a bit of paper that nobody ever reads or understands.

Its outside the scope of BS7671 so you simply compile a suitable certificate of your own, 

It doesn't have to be based on the 'model' forms,

Its like doing PAT , you simply design a record of checks that suits the job and client.

15 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

[...] like doing PAT , you simply design a record of checks that suits the job and client [...]

That is bizarre as I had that exact conversation on Friday with someone who insisted that PAT testing had "standard" reports and I said I'd never seen two the same. I also said our last report was electronic (PDF emailed to me) with just stickers applied to the devices/cables and I was told that was "illegal"...

All from an NICEIC registered company who want my PAT business  ...  

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That is bizarre as I had that exact conversation on Friday with someone who insisted that PAT testing had "standard" reports and I said I'd never seen two the same. I also said our last report was electronic (PDF emailed to me) with just stickers applied to the devices/cables and I was told that was "illegal"...

All from an NICEIC registered company who want my PAT business  ...  

Ye, niceic and their members like to think they make the rules,

If I'm doing pat for a rental landlord with maybe 5 items in a house he simply wants some stickers and a short list of what I've tested with pass or fail, if its for a larger business with maybe 200 items I'll do them a spreadsheet type of affair,

Horses for courses.

• 2 months later...
On 2017-3-25 at 10:41, JSHarris said:

If it were me (accepting that I probably feel a bit more confident about taking stuff apart to examine it than some) then I'd open up the inverter case and examine the internal construction and layout, looking for visible signs that the design pays heed to the need for adequate isolation between the ELV DC input and the LV AC output, together with adequate insulation of high voltage areas from the metal case.  I'd also want to see that the earth pin on the socket was properly connected to the metal case.

I've finally taken it apart, as it is no longer used and started to smell v v hot when I last tried to run a 1500W kettle ( I think the fan failed) and there is indeed NO earth connection whatsoever! Ta for the warning!