Permitted Side Extension Width

corr_blimey

Hi, first post but hopefully a quick and straightforward answer, so thanks in advance. 
had a quick search on the forum but couldn't see anything obvious where this had been discussed. 
we are looking to get a wraparound single storey extension on our semi detached house. Due to the odd shape of our land, the side part of the extension starts half way back so will not span the length of the house, so completely subordinate to original structure. As it's wraparound we know we will need to seek planning permission. This is fine. 
the question is how wide can this side part of the extension be. I see 'can be up to 50% the width of the original structure' in many places, but what isn't clear if this is a hard and fast rule, or whether it's only for PD purposes only. As we would seek planning permission can we break this 50% rule?. 
To put it into context, our house is 5M wide, so 50% would add a further 2.5M. Based on our own layout ideas we would want to take this nearer to 3M, but no greater. The rear would also go out to 3M. The house is only 10 years old so has no previous extensions.

Thanks

John

If it is only 10 years old, does it actually have any PD rights?

Planners should know. If it does not then you know you have to go for PP anyway.

The width would be whatever you can get approved by Planning under local / national policy. It might be worth a conversation with a planner as to what the policy is generally, or read up on it on the Planning Portal or elsewhere. 

Ferdinand

If you haven't already done so see pages 26-27 for Permitted Development rules on wrap around extensions..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permitted-development-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

10 hours ago, corr_blimey said:

As we would seek planning permission can we break this 50% rule?. 

If you are applying for planning permission then yes in theory you can ignore the permitted development rules. The planners should judge your proposal on its merits not compare them with the PDR rules. However the planners do sometimes use the PDR rules as a guide if they think the end result will be too big/over bearing/over development/just plain ugly.

In general its always best to go apply (or pay for pre application advice) for what you want or even a bit more and be prepared to compromise if necessary.

Thanks Ferdinand, Dave and Temp.

as we would be breaking it only marginally (up to 0.5M), and for single storey and which only which starts half way back along the side, then I am hoping that this would be looked on in our favour. The overall extension we are doing is modest in my opinion, but as I am new to this I could be wrong.
I have attached the rough plans that I drew up showing existing verses my initial plan and a proposed layout. Note the odd shape down the side is designed to maintain access to the rear garden. 
I will be appointing an architect soon, but want to get a clear idea of what we can do.

for planning forum.pdf internal layout proposal.pdf

Depending on what the neighbour's house is like, and what the rest of the plot is like, and the general sizing of the house/elevations, that may/may not be allowed.

If you have PD rights (i.e. not removed - check this), it will help as you can always fall back on permitted rules as a bargaining chip. But for what you're proposing, planning will be required regardless. Presumably both the rear and side extension will be single storey. Any objections from the neighbours from early chats (if any)? 

Regarding that little cut out on the 45 degree line, I'd suggest you lose that, and make it square - it should be measured from the centre of their patio/window, not the near edge. This should give you a bit more wiggle room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperPav said:

Presumably both the rear and side extension will be single storey. Any objections from the neighbours from early chats (if any)? 

Yes single storey. 
my neighbours in same private drive are all fine, we are all good friends and have fully discussed it.

On the side that the side extension will be, there are 4 converted housing association maisonettes that directly rear face into the side of my property (see satellite view below), these I have not spoken to, not the most approachable and they are housing association tenants (not sure how this may impact things). There are no windows now or planned facing towards them, and based on the height of the fence between them and myself, the extension should have minimal impact.

8D9EB79D-E90C-46CA-B08F-979CEB59DBBC.jpeg

1 hour ago, SuperPav said:

Regarding that little cut out on the 45 degree line, I'd suggest you lose that, and make it square - it should be measured from the centre of their patio/window, not the near edge. This should give you a bit more wiggle room.

I thought that, but have looked at the planning docs on our councils planning site and it states 45 degree taken from near edge and also shows it in a diagram. 

I see nothing of particular concern there based on the limited info to go off. The 45 deg thing is surprising though, they normally only take them from the near edge if assessing impact of a two storey extension. This is obviously not a hard and fast rule and does vary between LA's so depends who you're with. My advice would still stand though to keep it square in the initial app. Depending on your LA, they might be allergic to 45 deg cutoffs along window splays anyway :)

I'd advise a few minor tricks in case the planners get funny, but you should be OK to crack on if your neighbours are on board. Remember you always get a freebie re-submission if necessary.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SuperPav said:

I see nothing of particular concern there based on the limited info to go off. The 45 deg thing is surprising though, they normally only take them from the near edge if assessing impact of a two storey extension. This is obviously not a hard and fast rule and does vary between LA's so depends who you're with. My advice would still stand though to keep it square in the initial app. Depending on your LA, they might be allergic to 45 deg cutoffs along window splays anyway :)

I'd advise a few minor tricks in case the planners get funny, but you should be OK to crack on if your neighbours are on board. Remember you always get a freebie re-submission if necessary.

Thanks for feedback ?