Two circuit room layout

MortarThePoint

As we are using 150mm pipe spacing (ASHP) most rooms end up as two loops. Typically theses are laid at right angles to the wall with  a window. Serpentine pattern. How should the two loops have their flow and return chosen. Options:

1. Both loops flow to middle of room, return from edge of room. Cosiest in middle of room, but does it concentrate too much heat there?

2. Both loops flow to outside of room

3. Keep same flow direction, one loop flows to outside first, second to middle first. I think I've seen this in some Google search results.

4. Doesn't matter a jot

About to cut my loops onto the manifold so want to get it right.

Edited by MortarThePoint

If it's not too late I'd go for your option 2, both loops to outside, as that is where the heat is lost.  Better still is to run the pipework parallel to the windows and starting with flows to outside or at least flow to the window first, as this is likely to be the highest heat loss area of the room.

Hope my recomendations is not too late for you to install in this way.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 06/08/2021 at 12:50, MortarThePoint said:

What NHBC call Serpentine achieves the same by meandering out at twice the spacing and the returning in the gap left.

Like one of the three options described in the attached. Reading the NHBC guidance I see that there does not appear to be a right and a wrong way of doing this. It simply says:

"Underfloor heating pipework loops can be laid out in several patterns, depending on the fixing methods and shape of the room. The most appropriate layout for a particular application should be confirmed by the system manufacturer."

layouts.pdf

Edited by Adsibob