Scaffolding - Best type ?

NewToAllOfThis

Hi,

Been looking for secondhand scaffolding but not finding any local so thought about buying new scaffolding.

Need it for accessing front of house soffits so will need it t be 7 metre high standing so plus any height for guard rails.

Also want to use it for 3 metre platform to get to ceiling at top of sloping roof.

Looking for recommendations as to best type to purchase and how much I should expect to pay

Edited by NewToAllOfThis

Kwikstage is probably the best for home use. You can get it second hand and can pretty much sell it on for what you pay for it. 

Buy new battens though as they are what keeps you from practicing amateur free fall … 

I’ve just bought a 7 mtre Boss Scaf with four platforms and an extra set of wheels 

Split it into two for internal slopes £900

Sell it on for the same when I finish the house 

Bit ironic I spend thousands each year hiring towers for site work 

A 7 mtre Scaf heavily discounted still costs me £110 per week Usually kept for 10-14 weeks at a time 

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Why not just rent it?

The new buy price equates to about 12 weeks hire. Then the hire company charge you for repairs/ missing parts/ cleaning.

Or you keep yours or sell it for about half price.

some on line are very slender and diy, but the good ones are sturdy and as you would hire.

If you live in a populous area, then you can be the one who buys for the 'half price' and it is paid off in 6 weeks.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Presumably second hand. That seems to be about half the prices i looked at.

They are out there 

eBay  and FB 

Quite a few hire companies sell there’s on and are open to a deal 

I bought Kwik Stage, and am now at the point of re-selling some of it at about 90% of what I paid for it. On a DIY max build, the buisiness case for it is compelling. The only question is how much to retain. Steep learning curve at first ... I now mix it with normal scaff and clips  to do little tweeks that make the jobs a bit easier (arthritic) and safer still.

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

I now mix it with normal scaff and clips  to do little tweeks that make the jobs a bit easier (arthritic) and safer still.

I've done the same, works really well mix and match. I use it a lot for diagonally bracing the transom sides of the scaffold, especially when building higher towers or when using the narrower 3 board transoms. Also handy to create a lifting point for winches.

Edited by SimonD

I kept enough Kwikstage to scaffold one entire wall of the house, so it was perhaps just over 1/4 what I had.  That won't be going anywhere. The rest I sold.

It is important if keeping it long term to store the boards carefully.  I built a storage rack under some decking where it can live, dry, on two racks with the boards sitting vertically with a small air gap between them.