Informing the DNO about the ASHP

Triassic

41 minutes ago, Triassic said:

What! You didn’t tell your local Electricity Network Operator about your heat pump? 

What size ASHP are you planning go install?  Does it need more than standard 100A supply?  I've never heard anything about notifying DNO, where did you see this? 

Our ASHP is rated 15A, the hob however is over twice as much at 32A.  Do you also need to tell DNO what you are installing in your kitchen?  PV the DNO do need to approve, but this is because it's grid-connected and will export.

Edited by Dan F

11 minutes ago, Dan F said:

I've never heard anything about notifying DNO, where did you see this? 

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/installing-an-electric-heat-pump

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/smart-connect

It looks like they'd love to know about every item in the house.

Our  MCS completion certification says "DNO Notification Compliance: To Be Notified Post Connection And Commissioning" which at the time I had assumed meant the installer would be handling the notification. But I've seen no evidence of it happening so now assume he didn't.

• Like 1

When applying for a new supply I ticked the box to say ASHP.  We then had a discussion about network capacity and the upshot was I convinced them it was a low power inverter driven ASHP and I accepted an offer of a 12kVA supply without any network upgrades.  The next person to build a new house in this street may not be so lucky.

I informed them of the solar PV and that caused a minor issue as they saw the inverter's model number had "4000" in it and tried to tell me not to connect it and apply for a network upgrade.  It was only when I sent the manufacturers declaration stating the output was limited to 3.68kW that they accepted it without network upgrade.