Batcave in Scotland

RK6

Hey everyone!

I’m in the process of buying a ~10 acre plot in Scotland, c/w a very small and very wrecked listed building, and full planning permission for a partially underground house that I plan to completely redesign to suit my needs. 

I’m a big petrol head, so my build will likely be 60/40 house to garage, possibly even 50/50, but we’ll see how the basement costs stack up. 

Basic premise is to use the tiny listed building as an entrance down into the new house which will be underneath, helped by the topography of the site. My aim is to completely hide the main house from sight when approaching from the rear so all that can be seen is the tiny listed building, providing a bit of theatre as it opens up when you descend into it. From the garden side, the house will be floor to ceiling glass looking into the surrounding woods, which provide the site with good shelter.

I expect the livable area to be 250-300m2. If I can justify the expense of a full-size (or nearly full-size) garage under the living area then that’s exactly what I’ll do.  

It’s definitely going to be a bit of a whacky build, and for sure it’s going to hurt my wallet, but I think it has potential to be pretty special if I can pull it off…. I’ll do my best to share my progress (both good and bad) over the coming months and years. 

Very much looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Edited by RK6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bonner said:

Sounds fantastic! Are you really building underneath the listed property or at a lower level behind it? Look forward to seeing lots of pictures and plans!!

It’s likely going to be a bit of both, which means underpinning and all that fun stuff. The dream would be to have an elevator down to the house, but that’s likely a tad OTT. More likely to open a very old looking door on the listed building to find a modern and industrial set of stairs leading straight down into the house, which means the house can be pushed forward a little, rather than building directly underneath. 

2 hours ago, RK6 said:

My aim is to completely hide the main house from sight when approaching from the rear so all that can be seen is the tiny listed building, providing a bit of theatre as it opens up when you descend into it.

Hello. You are most welcome.

Ahhhhhh, the imagineering phase of a build. Something to wallow in, enjoy, chat through with mates - mull over in a traffic jam  or waiting for train. Brilliant time.

I look forward to the first post you write about the topographical survey and the geophysical survey. (£2500 for us : 8 cores and lab analysis) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RK6 said:

Hey everyone!

I’m in the process of buying a ~10 acre plot in Scotland, c/w a very small and very wrecked listed building, and full planning permission for a partially underground house that I plan to completely redesign to suit my needs. 

I’m a big petrol head, so my build will likely be 60/40 house to garage, possibly even 50/50, but we’ll see how the basement costs stack up. 

Basic premise is to use the tiny listed building as an entrance down into the new house which will be underneath, helped by the topography of the site. My aim is to completely hide the main house from sight when approaching from the rear so all that can be seen is the tiny listed building, providing a bit of theatre as it opens up when you descend into it. From the garden side, the house will be floor to ceiling glass looking into the surrounding woods, which provide the site with good shelter.

I expect the livable area to be 250-300m2. If I can justify the expense of a full-size (or nearly full-size) garage under the living area then that’s exactly what I’ll do.  

It’s definitely going to be a bit of a whacky build, and for sure it’s going to hurt my wallet, but I think it has potential to be pretty special if I can pull it off…. I’ll do my best to share my progress (both good and bad) over the coming months and years. 

Very much looking forward to learning from everyone here!

You are familiar with Underhill House, which is a similar vision?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/10/top-uk-eco-homes-underhill-house-gloucestershire

There was a GD about it:

Also this one in Bakewell is concealed from the road at the top

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grand-designs-couple-spend-16-670402

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Hello. You are most welcome.

Ahhhhhh, the imagineering phase of a build. Something to wallow in, enjoy, chat through with mates - mull over in a traffic jam  or waiting for train. Brilliant time.

I look forward to the first post you write about the topographical survey and the geophysical survey. (£2500 for us : 8 cores and lab analysis) 

That’s my job for next week! 

@Roys My plot is in the North East, which is where I’m from, although I’m currently living overseas. 

@Ferdinand I’m a big fan of Grand Designs, and have seen both of those episodes. Solid inspiration for sure. I was tempted to ping them about this project, but I quite like my privacy. Not sure how I’d feel about telling the world where I live. 

@Cpd I should have a friend flying a drone over the site in the next week or so. I’ll follow up with some pics then. 

@the_r_sole best name I’ve seen in a while. Well played! Budget hasn’t been finalized yet, but I’m expecting this to sting. My hope is that I can do it for 1.25M, but that figure just came directly from my r_sole. 

• Like 1

Re: Grand Designs.

Generally, don't. Imo.

Find a more sympathetic programme that won't put your build into play to create a storyline. GD are quite notorious for that. 

If you do, have a couple of pre-manufactured crises lined up with pre-identified answers. Like a diversionary Nasher Stick for your doglet.

Isn't there a 'best in Scotland' thing on TV  somewhere, or two. But perhaps they are more egalitarian and your build is exceptional ? .

• Like 1

The Nissan showroom by the M8 has a fancy car elevator over 6/7 storeys, glass walled to show of the cars so very doable.

I returned a hire car in Japan and was shocked to drive it into an elevator and go up to the 8th floor to return it.

Locals didn't bat an eyelid...

• Like 1

@Ferdinand I’d rather just quietly get it done then move in an enjoy it, but I’m a big fan of the show so the thought has crossed my mind a few times. 

@Tennentslager a car elevator would be utterly amazing, but that’s definitely going to be a hugely expensive item. I was however thinking that opening a heritage door on the small building to find brushed steel elevator doors behind it would be amazing. And a personnel lift would likely be much more affordable than a massive car lift. 

I’m definitely enjoying the daydreaming phase of this project, but it’s very nearly time to get real. It’ll be interesting to see how many of my whacky ideas make it into the final build. 

Yes, I remember that grand designs build, A right nightmare  IMO it would have been better to take the old building down, build under it then carefully re construct it on top, LOADS cheaper. (Yes what cars do you have????)

it it grade 1 or 2 listed.

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

@ProDave— that’s definitely a worry, but I’m fairly set on my plan to use it as the entrance down into the house, so I’ll have to find a way to make it work. 

@joe90 it’s grade 2 listed, and the main stipulation from the planning dept is that the Doocot needs to remain the prominent feature of the plot, hence building below. 

For everyone asking what cars I have, I’m actually starting from scratch after selling them all to fund a business when I left the UK a few years back. I love older stuff, so I’m starting my new collection with a restomod 911, and perhaps a 308 GTB or 512 TR for something a little more unique. I’m also big into my bikes, so a chunk of the garage will be reserved for storing and tinkering with them. 

• Like 1