Advise required around new roof - not straight!

Ryan G

Hi all

Hoping for some advise regarding a garage roof. In short, both ends of the garage ‘bow upwards’, and I would like to understand if this is normal, expected, and if it’s in/out of acceptable tolerance.

Attached is a pic, which shows the final top tile pointing slightly upwards, and the corner of the bottom tile pointing upwards.

In addition to this, the edge of the roof is mortar and doesn’t have a ‘cap’. Is this expected?

None of this looks right to my untrained eye, so some input from people more qualified would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

8D080B23-334B-4A4B-BCC3-3E221E9BE9E8.jpeg

Yep find that when the brickwork is slightly high and the tile battens run over the gable. More noticeable with those sorts of tiles but top marks to the roofer to cut the second to last ridge tile so you don’t see a cut end. 

• Like 1

+1 - I think he has done that right mate given he has tiled to the brick gable end. It might have wanted a brick less on the gables but the solution works.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the Mrs starts moaning (which she won't if you don't point out the issue!).

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Yep find that when the brickwork is slightly high and the tile battens run over the gable. More noticeable with those sorts of tiles but top marks to the roofer to cut the second to last ridge tile so you don’t see a cut end. 

Peter.. your eye is remarcable! the cut ridge tile.

1 hour ago, Ryan G said:

Hi all

Hoping for some advise regarding a garage roof. In short, both ends of the garage ‘bow upwards’, and I would like to understand if this is normal, expected, and if it’s in/out of acceptable tolerance.

Attached is a pic, which shows the final top tile pointing slightly upwards, and the corner of the bottom tile pointing upwards.

In addition to this, the edge of the roof is mortar and doesn’t have a ‘cap’. Is this expected?

None of this looks right to my untrained eye, so some input from people more qualified would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

8D080B23-334B-4A4B-BCC3-3E221E9BE9E8.jpeg

Ryan.

Technically you could get out all the standards, manufacture's info and see if it complies. That will take a lot of time an effort. Even if you do this you often come up against the phrase " visually acceptable" and that is an issue.. acceptable to whom?

Just a question as the photo is not that high resolution. Are there some really narrow cuts in the roof? In other words are the side laps ok? In other words we know that up and down the roof the tiles / slates need to over lap the ones below by a certain amount. But they also need to overlap sideways.. parallel to the ridge by a certain amount. You can get this side lap size from the manufacture's data sheet.

If all ok then once it's weathered a bit then it will mostly all blend in.

I rather like the upward curve. A Japanese feel to it. This has the advantage of deflecting all water down the slope and not dribbling down the gable.

The picture is high def as it has reached me. Thus I can see that the tiles are 'dummy doubles', ie moulded to look smaller than they are. So the apparently thin ones at the gable are more like one and a halfs.

The ridge though seems to have been fixed and sealed with lots of black mastic....is that approriate?

There is also something in the gutter.

A kock can be normal as mentioned above to put water back to the roof and then into gutter. But I wouldn't be pointing a roofer if you don't like the kick I'd be at the bricky and or joiner who should have made it all line through. Looks fine.