Site cctv

16 hours ago, MrsB said:

We had visitors at 4am 

Sorry to hear that. Only a tiny proportion of people behave like this but they generate misery out of all proportion to their numbers.

Hope the gazebo leaks on them.

On 7/4/2017 at 09:13, jack said:

Sorry to hear that. Only a tiny proportion of people behave like this but they generate misery out of all proportion to their numbers.

Hope the gazebo leaks on them.

Thank you, the pair have been apprehended from our wildlife camera evidence. The police couldn't praise the footage highly enough, especially as it was dark when the 2 perpetrators arrived. We even recorded their voices, bonus. I'll link you to the camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016O208AY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 4

On Friday night 2 youths got into our site and made off with...  3 used pallets!!!  They could have popped in anytime during working hours and we would have happily helped them loading.  They used a shopping trolley to effect the getaway.  It was 10:40 and they looked fairly drunk, but managed to scale the Heras which was a fair achievement.

Guest Alphonsox
1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

On Friday night 2 youths got into our site and made off with...  3 used pallets!!!  They could have popped in anytime during working hours and we would have happily helped them loading.  They used a shopping trolley to effect the getaway.  It was 10:40 and they looked fairly drunk, but managed to scale the Heras which was a fair achievement.

I'd be on the lookout for some orange dressed gentlemen - It's almost the 12th July and pallets are in short supply around our way

12th.jpg

I think that we'll need to get a couple :(

We just had someone(s) attempt to break into our new build last night.  They tried to get into the house by jemmying a set of Internorm French doors.  The doors defeated them so 1-0 to Internorm, but they eventually got into our shed onsite and pinched about £700 worth of tools. 

However the really pisser is the crowbar damage to the aluclad door frames: 12 weeks replacement delay and ?? in cost. 

Guest Alphonsox

That's very bad news - I've been worried about something similar myself. We have nothing onsite to steal but the damage caused by an attempted entry could be painful.

Yup the Internorm doors took a lot of abuse, and I am really glad that couldn't get in, but it didn't stop them doing some damage, that will be quite costly to fix properly.

We tend to buy the budget end of tools, Ebauer, Titan -- apart from the drills which are decent deWalt -- because we don't need a long working life. Unlike a jobbing tradesman once this job is done, then we won't have much need.  But even so, we had about £2,000 worth and have lost almost a half of that.

It's the damage that is the real bugger, isn't it?  I'd rather have stuff nicked than have the hassle of trying to get expensive doors replaced, especially with the knock on effect that has on buggering up the decoration, etc.

Our CCTV system seems to have completely stopped the casual intruders we used to get, but has created a problem that I'm not sure how to broach with a neighbour.  The external cameras are fine, they just look out on our drive and boundary, but one of the internal cameras looks at the front door.  Now the neighbour has chopped down the 30ft high Leylandii hedge, that camera looks directly into his young teenage daughters bedroom window.  Nothing I can do about it, except turn of the motion alerts from that camera, and make sure I delete the footage of her that is recorded every evening, but I wish I could find a tactful way to let him know that I don't particularly want to have that camera recording his daughter, it makes me feel very uncomfortable.  I think part of the problem is that the external reflective film makes the front glazing appear as if it's opaque from outside, but the internal camera sees straight through it.  The problem will go away in the late autumn when we plant some trees, but until then I'm not really happy with either turning that camera off or recording his daughters bedroom antics...............

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The problem will go away in the late autumn when we plant some trees, but until then I'm not really happy with either turning that camera off or recording his daughters bedroom antics...............

J, surely it would be quite easy to put a small patch of tape on the inside of your window that would provide a modesty mask of her window.   Once it is trimmed and working, then you can tell the neighbour and if necessary show him a capture to show that you are respecting their privacy.

i think it was @Mikey_1980 who recommended the honeywell wireless door bell. I have bought the loudest version and two of the remote PIR's. The doorbell is sat in the shepherds hut and can clearly be heard outside . Anyone now entering can clearly hear that they have tripped some sort of alarm. Alongside the CCTV i hope it will put them off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

It's the damage that is the real bugger, isn't it?  I'd rather have stuff nicked than have the hassle of trying to get expensive doors replaced, especially with the knock on effect that has on buggering up the decoration, etc.

Our CCTV system seems to have completely stopped the casual intruders we used to get, but has created a problem that I'm not sure how to broach with a neighbour.  The external cameras are fine, they just look out on our drive and boundary, but one of the internal cameras looks at the front door.  Now the neighbour has chopped down the 30ft high Leylandii hedge, that camera looks directly into his young teenage daughters bedroom window.  Nothing I can do about it, except turn of the motion alerts from that camera, and make sure I delete the footage of her that is recorded every evening, but I wish I could find a tactful way to let him know that I don't particularly want to have that camera recording his daughter, it makes me feel very uncomfortable.  I think part of the problem is that the external reflective film makes the front glazing appear as if it's opaque from outside, but the internal camera sees straight through it.  The problem will go away in the late autumn when we plant some trees, but until then I'm not really happy with either turning that camera off or recording his daughters bedroom antics...............

Perhaps ask them over to look at their house from inside your front door and explain that your security records same and better to draw curtains etc now that there is no privacy from planting.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Sadly it's not that easy, as the window in question takes up around 1/3 of the field of view of the camera.  To blank it I'd need a large sheet of ply, or something similar, taped over the upper part of the front door.

Are your cameras wireless? Can you reposition? Could you use a non-surface damaging mount?

I think the legal principle is that looking or recording outside your property can not be more than incidental, which would put the onus firmly on you.

Can you turn it off in a timer for the couple of evening hours, or put a temporary curtain over the door if you only want the internal view?

One tactful way to mention that t might be to spend an evening in the garden working then comment to the neighbour that you saw the display on that occasion, and that therefore the public in the road can too. Still perhaps jarring but less worrying than a recording device.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

That camera is hard wired and fixed, partially hidden under the landing, so it only has limited adjustment.  It's been there for a couple of years and until the hedge came down over the road it wasn't a problem, as it's set to look at the inside of the front door, with the centre line of the camera well above the road, so it can't record anything other then the very top of a tall truck there, and tall trucks can't really get down that lane anyway.  The main issue is that our house is way above the lane and the height of the house opposite, and so this first floor window is about level with the centre of our front door, which is all glazed.

As far as I'm concerned, I can't see how it's my problem, as the system has been running OK for a couple of years without the cameras looking where they shouldn't.  I didn't even know that bedroom window opposite was there when they were fitted, as the hedge was way above the ridge height of the house opposite.  That bedroom window still isn't visible from the lane, only our front windows and drive.

For now I've turned motion sensing off on that camera, so recordings are only triggered by the other cameras, which isn't ideal, but the best I can do.  That camera does get recorded if one of the other cameras is triggered, but that's not something that happens very often, so the chance of something getting accidentally recorded is small. 

Talking to the neighbours won't be easy, as they are not at all communicative and very much keep themselves to themselves.  I dropped a wrongly delivered parcel over to them a few months ago and didn't get a word out of them, not even a thank you, she just took the parcel and shut the door on me.

16 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I would have kept very quiet about it all.

You can get software that will mask areas I think.

This definitely exists, watching that 24 hours in custody programme on channel 4, they often show security camera footage inside the prison cell. Just over the area of the toilet is a small black square to offer some privacy, this is obviously software based and not a physical thing in the cell. 

An an example from google -

IMG_2155.JPG

25 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I would have kept very quiet about it all.

You can get software that will mask areas I think.

One problem is that the cameras aren't (yet) IP cameras, so the video to the recorder is just ordinary composite video. The recorder does the motion detection, but isn't clever enough to only record from the camera that's triggered the motion detection, although the detection area within the field of view of each camera can be set, using a grid of "Os" and "Xs".  I've currently set the offending camera so that the whole grid is off, so now the recorder only activates when one of the other cameras triggers it.  This doesn't happen often, and nine times out of ten it's the drive camera that triggers, usually by a cat, or maybe one of the resident ducks.

Once triggered, the recorder captures video from all the cameras.  AFAICS, there's no easy way to add a blocked out area, and anyway, if there was it would block the head and shoulders view of anyone by the front door, which would rather defeat the purpose.  The idea behind fitting the internal cameras facing the doors was to be able to get decent images to ID anyone, as the external cameras are wide angle, plus they are pretty obvious, so someone with a hoodie or whatever could easily disguise themselves.  The internal cameras aren't obvious, and probably wouldn't be spotted, especially the front one from outside, due to the reflective film on the glazing.

Guest Alphonsox

A quick heads-up for anyone looking for one of the Crenova cameras mentioned above  by @MrsB and used to successfully identify her intruders. They are currently on sale in Amazons Primeday promotion for £56. Seems like a good price.

14 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

A quick heads-up for anyone looking for one of the Crenova cameras mentioned above  by @MrsB and used to successfully identify her intruders. They are currently on sale in Amazons Primeday promotion for £56. Seems like a good price.

Can you post a link, please, @Alphonsox?

Edited by Ferdinand