Granny Annexe - PP

Alfie

Hey all,

A mate of mine is looking at building a granny annexe in his garden for his nan to live in (likely 30m/sq). I've been trying to explain the timescales for him as he is looking to complete in September and would like to begin work on this as soon as he is in.

My guess was:

- Complete on September 11th

- Speak to Architect in October

- Likely submit plans in November

- Outcome Jan/Feb from PP

- Start work best case April

- Complete by August

In your experience what type of timeline would you expect him to be able to complete this in?

Thanks,

Alfie

As this is a separate building, they can start drawings right now, as nothing (not a lot) will affect the final outcome. The same with planning, you don't have to own the property, with owner permission application can be done in advance of exchanging contracts.

Make planning 3 months: my drawings waited for 4 weeks before being looked at (a day before deadline), then the response another 4 weeks (yep, day before deadline) with request for changes, then another 4 weeks...

Start gathering materials as soon as possible, so there are no hiccups on the way

54 minutes ago, Alfie said:

In your experience what type of timeline would you expect him to be able to complete this in?

Exactly that has happened 3 houses away from us. It took about half the time you suggest from a planning perspective.  That shocked me. Our planners are overworked I am told. 

In terms of the building work, I really don't think -currently- it's possible to make a sensible guess at how long that will take. Too much depends on local factors. 

@Olf - Thanks for the idea, I've passed this on and it's something he will look into.

@ToughButterCup - I too am surprised the planning was that short. Agree on the building work, although he has quite a few connections that he can call upon. It's still a "how long is a piece of string" question though.