Turret slated roof

000jo000

Hi, I’m looking for some advice please. We have had our roof re-slated and this is how they have done the turret. We are worried that water can seep in as the slates don’t seem very flush. The scaffolding is still up so we could push them to fix it, but they are saying that it’s normal and to do with the slope of the turret.

Would be good to have an expert opinion on if it’s ok to leave like this?

12B228F8-7253-46D9-AC0D-A0C329FF4316.jpeg

I am no expert on a turret slate roof but have done quite a bit of traditional slate work, I would say they have used to many wide slates near the top, especially where a wide slate spans three other slates…. I would have only spanned two slates at any time, the slates should all be of a similar size on each course / row so that they sit right, each row nearer the top and the slates get narrower. Looks rubbish and personally I would want it done correctly. Go online and find some information on how it should be done and present this to the roofer. I may be wrong but that’s my opinion. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I am no expert on a turret slate roof but have done quite a bit of traditional slate work, I would say they have used to many wide slates near the top, especially where a wide slate spans three other slates….

I'm a roofer and have done many turrets over the years, you are correct.

This must be their first attempt at doing a turret but do not back-down on this. It needs sorted or it is a potential leak/wind problem.

Edited by makie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 000jo000 said:

Hi, I’m looking for some advice please. We have had our roof re-slated and this is how they have done the turret.

CPD makes some good points and gives good advice here.

Slating turrets is an art.  If you want to have a word with the Slater then be familiar as to what is underneath.. maybe the first thing the Slater will do is to blame the joiner! The turret is a key feature and it needs to be right, often they are right over the front door.. not a good first impression. Ask the Slater if it would be ok on their own house?

There are full turrets, half turrets and others and each needs a slightly different approach. If you have a full turret and are in a bind then sort out the bit you can see along the lines of what CPD is suggesting.

As a fudge.. and only when you have little other options. On the back where it may be hidden you can sometimes get out of a hole if the side lap on the slates is too small by using a thinner slate with a code 3 lead soaker underneath.

Edited by Gus Potter
typos

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your feedback on my question, I really appreciate! 

I went back to the company and pushed and they agreed to redo it, however their solution has been to do a much bigger bit of lead than they had originally. I’ve attached a picture, but I think they just replaced the slates on one row and then put the lead on top. 

Will this be ok? Are there any negatives? Do we need to push them to redo again?!

D1B74505-5C64-4065-9230-6AF33AB142DD.jpeg

2 hours ago, markc said:

the original wasn’t great but this is just a bodge and run.

It’s pretty bloody awful, the ridge is a joke…. The lead work terrible and only there as they lack the skills to slate it properly.

I am glad I am not you having to deal with this problem, don't know what you are to do as they will not want to fix it, but if it was me I would want the lead work reduce by a minimum of 60% and 3 rows of slates installed correctly, the ridge needs cutting back and properly finished with lead flashing, I AM NOT a roofer and had never worked lead before and did this on my shed roof 10 years ago and it was not hard…… I have the same zinc ridge as you.  @makie might be able to give a definitive appraisal of what they have done. 
best of luck. 

5B298045-54BC-45DB-8043-44C1FD41FA96.jpeg

Edited by Cpd

6 hours ago, Cpd said:

It’s pretty bloody awful, the ridge is a joke…. The lead work terrible and only there as they lack the skills to slate it properly.

This, unfortunately these guys seem useless. @000jo000

images.jpg.17c19e9613305a296fca089596854e95.jpg

It should be finished like this but with the lead on top of the zinc ridge. (couldn't find a better photo)

In regards to how they nailed the slates it is also unfortunately done wrong and a high wind can damage the roof.

1427143580_slatenailingturret.jpg.826bb6df8be2bd692f399078f054c289.jpg

It needs to be done similar to this, a minimum of one on the head of the slate and one on each cheek.