Skylight lantern

MYL

I would like to install a lantern skylight over the kitchen space.
the kitchen's roof is lower than the rest of the house's roof.
It has a very shallow slope facing the front elevation.
I know that  I should seek Planning Permission if the 'the alteration would protrude more than 0.15 metres beyond the plane of the slope of the original roof when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the original roof'
Knowing that the lantern wouldn't be higher than the highest part of the original roof.

can anyone help, does this mean I have to seek planning permission or this is considered permitted development?

228301345_2976173635988761_1760638303882216252_n.jpg

54 minutes ago, MYL said:
I know that  I should seek Planning Permission if the 'the alteration would protrude more than 0.15 metres beyond the plane of the slope of the original roof when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the original roof'
Knowing that the lantern wouldn't be higher than the highest part of the original roof.

Unfortunately "Original roof" refers to the height of the roof of your extension before the lantern/velux is added, not the original pitched roof of the house.

Aside: Many ordinary flat Velux windows are >150mm tall but they don't need planning permission because they are partly recessed into the roof (eg by the depth of the tiles and battens that are removed). Obviously that doesn't help you here.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

It is not  Permitted Development - as explained here . 

Park that thought for a minute. It is very common, locally anway, for folk to make minor alterations like yours and wait to see if anyone shouts about it. And when they do, get retrospective permission. There is a risk that you will be told to reinstate the roof without the skylight.

Whats your risk appetite?

• Like 2

Thank you Temp and ToughButterCup for your responses, it is really helpful.

I actually doubted it because the front elevation will look slightly different, but other than that it doesn't make sense to me!!

How come this will need a permission, however adding a completely new extension ( with whatever roof I choice is considered permitted?!

considering 'Side extensions to have a maximum height of 4m and width no more than half that of the original house'

4 hours ago, Temp said:

Original roof" refers to the height of the roof of your extension

An extension would not have an ‘original roof’ though.

I’ve had countless LDC decisions with lantern rooflights on extensions and I have always seen it as it would come under the ‘no more than 4m high’, which would include the lantern and therefore assessed under Class A.

It’d be different if you were adding a rooflight to an original roof as that would come under Class C.

• Like 1

I think it depends if you build the extension and rooflight at the same time...

If you build them at the same time then I agree the max height rule for extension roofs would apply (eg the shape of the roof can be anything you like within the height restrictions).

If the extension already exists and you are adding a roof light it appears to me that the extension does have an original roof so the 150mm rule applies.

Nonsense I agree but that's how I read it.

Bit of googling suggests there is no consensus either way on adding roof lights to an existing extension.

Some roof light companies say you need PP if it projects more than 150mm above the existing roof.

Others say adding a pitched roof lantern is like building a new extension with its own roof (eg ok as long as under 4m, less if near the site boundary).

Thank you DevilDamo, your suggestion makes more sense to me.

However I will still be confused since this lantern skylight would be within less than two meters from the boundary party wall, in that case the height of the lantern shouldn't exceed 3 meters in  height!! It wouldn't exceed the height of the original house though!

'if the height of the eaves of the enlarged part would exceed 3 meters' This wouldn't be permitted development

But this is not about the extension roof, it already exist, so would the lantern be bound to not exceed the 3 meters in height on the existing roof!