How long should we leave sand cement screed to properly dry prior to tiling please

Kripa

As above 

But if you can’t wait that long 

you will need to use a decoupling Matt 

Im on with this one today 130m2 Screed has been down 10 days 

Customer if paying extra for the tiling on top of the 600k 

Large scale builders are always in a rush 

The longer you leave the screed the better But hardly any on spec builds are left to cure 

81BEB416-3A8B-4548-BD0E-DBB53175B49B.jpeg

Edited by nod

• 4 months later...
On 02/08/2021 at 09:23, markc said:

If you work on 1 day per millimetre for the first 50 and then 2 days per millimetre for additional you won’t be far off.

I'm arguing with my builder about this. Very frustrating that he won't delay tiling. He wants to tile an 80mm screed after 70 days. The formula suggests 110 days. Is that really necessary? I don't really have space for a decoupling matt.

8 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I'm arguing with my builder about this. Very frustrating that he won't delay tiling. He wants to tile an 80mm screed after 70 days. The formula suggests 110 days. Is that really necessary? I don't really have space for a decoupling matt.

I don't know if this will be of any help.

https://www.tileandstonejournal.com/featured-articles/green-screeds-what-we-should-know-before-tiling-them/

https://www.bal-adhesives.com/products/new-floor/

On 02/08/2021 at 08:30, Kripa said:

What is the advisable time frame (per mm) to leave sand cement screed to dry prior to tiling?

Ask your screed company..... they'll have guide lines for you to follow.

@Adsibob : consider you don't follow the guidelines and summat dreadful happens to your flooring (as a result) Who pays for the repair?

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Ask your screed company..... they'll have guide lines for you to follow.

@Adsibob : consider you don't follow the guidelines and summat dreadful happens to your flooring (as a result) Who pays for the repair?

I absolutely agree. The problem is, he doesn't. I've at least managed to persuade him to wait until next year, by which time it will be 85 days. Hopefully by then the UFH is down in the upper floors (which aren't screeded) and they can work on tiling and flooring that. Sorry to have hijacked this thread!

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Asking your screed supplier is sound advice, as you are tiling then I can see scope to reduce the drying time as the floor finish won’t be susceptible to moisture and it’s unlikely you will be taking the screed to anywhere near is max compressive strength.

drying time also depends on how wet the screed was when it was laid.

On 16/12/2021 at 11:43, Adsibob said:

I've at least managed to persuade him to wait until next year, by which time it will be 85 days

We had an exceptionally mild autumn, so your screen should be OK.  The 1mm/day is a bit of a hand wavy number. 

Wet processes in buildings cause so many problems.  It is about time the industry moved on and stopped using them.

100mm slab. Feb 2016:

SAM_3350

Then the wet room corner April 2018:

20180401_153642

Tiled the corner Aug 2018:

20180806_204842

I think it's the Irish who wonder what the English do with the time they save by rushing. I'm part Irish...

Measure the RH of the slab to determine the ‘dryness’

you get accessories for RH probes that push the sensor into a foam like brick, the brick has an opening at one side and this is posed in the floor, you are then measuring the floor and not the room..

32 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Measure the RH of the slab to determine the ‘dryness’

you get accessories for RH probes that push the sensor into a foam like brick, the brick has an opening at one side and this is posed in the floor, you are then measuring the floor and not the room..

I have a fairly basic damp meter that I bought from Amazon a few years ago for about £24. It has two sharp prongs that you stick into the solid that you are taking a reading from. I use it mainly to check whether logs that I want to burn are dry, but I did also use it when I bought our house to show the estate agent that the house had obvious damp (even though it was obvious, the agent kept saying it was perfectly dry, and I couldn’t be bothered to get a surveyor in until the price came down a bit).

Would such a basic meter work on checking the screed? I would probably only be able to get the two prongs 1mm into the screed, at most. But  surely that top 1mm of the screed is the driest.

54 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I have a fairly basic damp meter that I bought from Amazon a few years ago for about £24. It has two sharp prongs that you stick into the solid that you are taking a reading from. I use it mainly to check whether logs that I want to burn are dry, but I did also use it when I bought our house to show the estate agent that the house had obvious damp (even though it was obvious, the agent kept saying it was perfectly dry, and I couldn’t be bothered to get a surveyor in until the price came down a bit).

Would such a basic meter work on checking the screed? I would probably only be able to get the two prongs 1mm into the screed, at most. But  surely that top 1mm of the screed is the driest.

no that’s a resistance meter

http://www.merlinlazer.com/MMS-Moisture-Meter---Moisture-Measurement-System

we use this one with the foam brick