Power and Lighting boxes - Timber Frame

NewToAllOfThis

Pro's and Con's of boxes and mounting method please.

We have 47mm service void on external walls and will be using 9mm plaster board.  Internal timber frame is 89mm depth, again plus 9mm plaster board.

All want to use plasterboard boxes, two want to fix the boxes prior to plaster and one after walls are plastered.

Interested to know if anyone has had any other type of boxes fitted and the Pro's and Con's for each solution.

Plasterboard boxes come in different types and different makes.  Some are dire and likely to give problem.  I always use Appleby, sold by Screwfix and Toolstation and they are the best I have found.

If you really want, you can get (from TLC direct) plasterboard fixing metal back boxes.

I prefer to go and cut the back box holes before the plasterer goes to skim, at least I know all cables are present and connect and the boarder has not "lost" any of them.

If you really really really hate plasterboard boxes, you will need your joiner to fit dwangs (noggins) at the correct depth to fix ordinary boxes to.

3 hours ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

Hi,

Sorry what I meant was different view as to fixing to the plasterboard before of after the plastering

If you have good dry lining boxes like appleby that clip securely in place and stay there, okay to fir the boxes before skimming.

If you have chosen lousy boxed that barely clip into place, then no, don't think of fitting them before skimming.

Neatly cut the boxes with a multitool so you don't lose too much of the pb facing paper. Paint the cut edges with PVA and allow to dry ideally. It really strengthens the hole and stops it breaking up. Then fit the box.

Who's got time to do that though unless you're doing it yourself! ?

• Like 2