Rules for PVA.

While renovating our house, I am finding I am using quite a lot of PVA glue, watered down on brickwork before filling holes with plaster.  now I plan to try my hand at plastering one of the rough walls, before we get a chap in to make all the walls look nice. Seems an ideal place to have a go as its going to end up in a cupboard.  However, I dont know whether I need to pva the wall again and if I do, it is still watered down stuff? or Neat?

I thought it would be quite handy for a post on PVA rules.  I am sure its something most builder people know but us newbies do not.  so has anyone got rules that I would find useful - when do you use pva?  what other things can it be used for and how should I use it?  Ideas please.  :)

• Like 1

With my first house I was buying waterproof PVA (the "black" as opposed to "red" container) by the gallon from Wickes and putting it in EVERYTHING, from mortar, to render to concrete and even plaster. If in doubt.....5:1 was the moto! :) I still own the place and everything's still standing and that was 25 years ago.

As to the rules???

I have a wall where i have removed the loose plaster. so now I have areas about an inch less than the rest.  Should I build up layers, painting with weak pva beforehand?  Or should I stick pieces of plasterboard into the large areas and then patch it to the rest?

PVA is used for many things build related. In the instance of plastering over it, regardless of it being cement render or gypsum plaster, the PVA must be tacky. Not wet, and most definitely not dry as that is like trying to get something to stick to plastic. 

If you wish to plaster then typically you need to ascertain the background ( type of surface upon which you wish to apply it ) and work out if it's high or low suction. 

For eg, painted walls it would be low suction ( near zero porosity) but for old black mortar it would be high suction. The difference is which will 'suck' the moisture out of the plaster faster or slower. 

• Like 1

And I have been watching youtube clips to see what people do.  Watched one where they just sprayed the area with water before filling holes with plaster.  they took 4 coats to get it finished.  it was american though - they may have different plaster? no pva used there. 

If it's more than maybe 3/16th" then I'd suggest probably bonding it first, skim doesn't really like anything more than 3-5mm depth to get a nice finish.

Brick/mortar, then yes, a 5:1 PVA first, give it a good scrub with a wire brush first if in doubt, then a good brush out to get rid of any loose dust/debris,

Firstly you need to make the affected areas more or less flush with the surrounding existing plaster / other, and then you need to prep the whole wall for skimming ( plastering ). Don't for a minute think that you'll get away with just patching in and painting as that's not going to be a practical option IMO ;)

9 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

if high suction, like my brick walls, tacky pva - if low suction, dont bother?? 

Over the bricks I'd first apply a PVA solution, 60% water 40% PVA, and saturate it, paying particular attention to the open edges of the existing mortar which will be loose and dry as a bone. After a couple of applications go over the bricks with neat PVA and then start building the gap up with bonding coat. You'll prob need to do that over two applications as its quite deep. Get that flush with the surrounding plaster and allow to dry. 

Prior to plastering the whole wall, I'd neat PVA the lot and allow to go tacky before skimming. If you PVA bits of the wall the skim will start drying out at different times and make skimming a pita. 

All sounds like good advice.  will do it in layers over neat pva - think I'll need to go and get some more pva!.  I have Thistle hardwall plaster - is that the same as bonding?  So forget sticking plasterboard into the cleared area - just build up the layers with the bonding plaster??

3 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

All sounds like good advice.  will do it in layers over neat pva - think I'll need to go and get some more pva!.  I have Thistle hardwall plaster - is that the same as bonding?  So forget sticking plasterboard into the cleared area - just build up the layers with the bonding plaster??

Loads of info here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.british-gypsum.com/~/media/Files/British-Gypsum/Brochures-and-Leaflets/Product-information/Thistle-Plaster-Selector-Guide.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwid6s-fyOXSAhWBNJoKHSGOAmcQFgguMAE&usg=AFQjCNHfn6-ODbRgINp7O2aYtdLIaRpKkA

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

No, hardwall is simply hardwall, a finishing plaster, bonding is a lot different, 

http://www.diy.com/departments/thistle-bonding-coat-undercoat-plaster-25kg/35814_BQ.prd

48 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Browning may actually be better if you are unsure about the suction, it holds its water better than bonding, but, can be a bit harder to work with.

Browning is pretty good for bulking out actually, so I'd second that. Get the second coat on when the first goes hard, but not when the first is dry otherwise you'll have to PVA between coats. 

Okay - I'll get some Browning and use that to build up the layers.  And on the leaflet that OnOff suggests, they say use GypPrime and Bond-It for high suction areas - but I can use  PVA as an altenative?  Thanks for all the advice.  I'll take photo's of my attempts.

1 hour ago, TheMitchells said:

Not heard of that before.  So what else can I use PVA for?  Keep the answers legal please!!.......O.o

Everything plaster / render / brick / stone I meant ;)

A lot of people will do all the heavy work and clean up and then mop all the floors / floorboards with a weak pva solution to 'size' all the surfaces and lock the dust down. 

Shouldn't we touch on the waterproof "exterior" and the more general (and cheaper) everyday versions of PVA? Big difference in price.

I know back when I temporarily dust proofed my concrete floor in the bathroom I used dilute SBR bonding agent on advice here rather than PVA.  This on the basis that when tiling later there's a risk of water getting under the tiles and affecting normal PVA. It was cheaper using SBR than buying exterior PVA.

I do know some on here have dust proofed say their new garage floors with dilute PVA. I've certainly glued T&G chipboard flooring together with it. I'll often use it when doing noggins before I screw them in. Doing it throughout boxing in in my bathroom.

I've used it btw when the kids have run out of "craft glue" and topped the bottle up. Made many a paper mache'd balloon head when they were younger!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Old thread. I have some concrete sills with mortar joints that I want to water proof. 

Could I brush PVA over the top would this seal them? I plan in long term to paint the cills would the PVA cause a problem here with painting?

Any advice much appreciated.