How would you go about making this pendant light?

hendriQ

I really like this pendant, but I don't like the price (over £12,000 plus VAT which is just bonkers). Ignoring the fact that is is made from black patinated brass, how would you go about making one out of powder coated metal tubes? Say my budget is £1000 plus a couple of hundred for the powder coating. The link states that is is made from 200 pieces and that it rotates. I don't want that. I just want the metal tubes necessary to make a T-shape, the wiring and the glass orbs at either end that conceal the lightbulb. I'm indifferent about the suspension ropes that feature on this model. If it's going to help the structural integrity, that's fine, but I don't think they necessarily add to the aesthetic.

Dimension wise, it needs to be about 1.5m wide and be suspended about 1.75m from the ceiling.

They kindly supply some "basic" 3D CAD, which is helpful

image.png.77a29a8485074fbdce358d03464e0a65.png

The drop is 2300mm.

If you can find similar glass spheres on another product or available as a shade then the rest of it is easy.

You do need the supporting wires, if you want it in the thin tube they are using.

13 minutes ago, IanR said:

... then the rest of it is easy.

I may back away from that statement a little...

The installation instructions show the horizontal tube having to be assembled to the vertical, but no wiring connections being made, so they have a trick coupling for making that joint, which includes the electrical connection, and on theirs it rotates. Really quite clever.

Unless those couplings can be found as an "off-the-shelf" item, then it's likely the joint would need to be up-sized a little so that the wiring can be carried through it and into a slot in the horizontal tube.

£12k ?.   Dead simple, bit of metal tube , fine wires and a metal ceiling rose. Coat of Matt or semi Matt black paint. Only difficult piece is finding globes that you want for each end.   I think the expensive bit like @ProDave says is the Rotating bit (that you don’t want anyway).