Doors Tight Against Frames

steveoelliott

Hi Folks,

As I come around to start a decorating project in a house I purchased ~18 months ago, I can't help but notice how tight many of my doors are to the frames. Clearly you wouldn't want huge gaps but with them being as tight as they are it means when the frames are painted they are inevitably going to stick / rub with paint transfer between materials (that has happened as you can see in the picture previously).

Question is how to get around this... Of course one could "heavily" sand the frame edges to gain a few mm thus preventing them sitting so tight but I figured there may be a better way. Looking at the way the hinges sit, they look OK to me but I am not even particularly handy let alone skilled in carpentry. My plan was to get a carpenter to look at these whilst quoting for some other bits but in advance i'd welcome any feedback.

Thank you...

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

I like to see a 3mm gap around each door (I grew up in a house where most doors stuck in the frames). Can be done by resetting the hinges if the gap hinge side is too great, or planing whichever side is tight, simple job fir a (good) chippie.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steveoelliott said:

the frames are painted they are inevitably going to stick / rub with paint transfer between materials

this tells me that the position of the door stops is not the problem but the door to frame width (gap between frame and door), @steveoelliott can you confirm?

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your feedback...

Per the pictures, the issue is with where the door closes against the vertical edges. They sit very tight indeed.

I intend to get my carpenter contact to take a look and remedy. I think Mr Punter's suggestion does make sense. Like many things there is more than one way to skin a cat ?

Edited by steveoelliott
Change

10 hours ago, steveoelliott said:

the issue is with where the door closes against the vertical edges. They sit very tight indeed.

it may be easier to move the hinges slightly and door lock/catch.

• Thanks 1