Leaking Scout Hut

jas_ste

Hello
I volunteer for a scout troop. The building they use leaks via the joins on the huge concrete gutters (see image attached). I've seen the 'Finlock' gutter problem and solutions but the scout hut is a huge building so I'm unsure if it's similar enough. A number of roofers/builders have tried to fix the problem, looks like via sealants etc., but failed.

Has anybody come across anything similar and have they found a 'solution'? 

IMG_20210502_121212814r.jpg

IMG_20210502_120443037r.jpg

IMG_20210502_120723594r.jpg

IMG_20210502_120955268_HDRr.jpg

Only way to fix that is get up there and scrape it clean, jet wash it then paint the whole thing with one of the Desmapol type products from end to end and up onto the top of the gutter. You would be best plugging  any deep gaps with epoxy concrete to make it a bit smoother but it should be fine as long as it’s not full of big holes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

It doesn't look like the roof sheeting overhangs into the gutter very much? Could that be partly the problem?

Indeed. Looks like there's two different overhangs here?

Does it leak all the way along?

IMG_20210502_120443037r.jpg

The building looks relatively new and decent condition compared to most like this.

The gutter sections simply butt together, so the joints fail with time.  Maintenance is primitive and as decribed above.

As the gutter is within the structure it can only drip inwards.

As a simple start, do the cleaning as that will reduce ponding and empty the gutter more quickly, then dripping stops or at least reduces.

Also check that the downpipes are clear.

Then test the flow with bucket or hose. Unfortunately the gutters will be level at best,  not falling to outlets.

Although the cladding appears to be asbestos,  any in the gutter should be wet and encased in filth so should be safe..but get back up on this or you may get complaints.

Another solution is to insert a liner so that it is impervious as dave jones says. This is a standard solution and commercially available.

I have thought of creating extra outlets forward from the joints, but never tried it.