Rising MDPE relocation.

crispy_wafer

I've decided to relocate our incoming water pipe to another spot in the build.

Didn't particularly like what the builder had done, pipe slightly kinked as it bends up to the floor. so have decided to take the opportunity before I go any further to expose the pipe and re-lay to a better place.  I've got good access still through the b+b flooring so no great issues, It's not terminated at the mains connection yet so an easy pull out.

I've got access to the pipe, currently it's not ducted under the b+b floor however it has some insulation.  

If I duct and insulate under the floor, what kind of ducting is acceptable, and what can I use to ensure I get a nice smooth bend on the pipe when it rises up through the floor, I hazard that as I'd still need to insulate within the ducting? 

If left to my own devices I'd probably use some drainage pipes and a bend, is that an acceptable trick of the trade?

I've got a coil of blue ducting for outside the building to the mains stop on the property.  This wont accept the pipe and insulation though...

55 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

If left to my own devices I'd probably use some drainage pipes and a bend, is that an acceptable trick of the trade?

I used 110mm soil pipe with large radius bends as the ducting for my mains water pipe.

• Like 1

I've read somewhere before that insulation is required if within a certain distance of an external wall.  So think I will get some more insulation and insulate the lot as I feed it though, then maybe squirty foam the ends of the pipe to seal it up.

Edited by crispy_wafer
typo

My ducting was 750mm deep and came up through the floor slab and I didn't use any insulation. In reality I should imagine it depends where in the UK you live as there would be a big difference in ground temperatures between Truro and Inverness.

15 minutes ago, Gone West said:

My ducting was 750mm deep and came up through the floor slab and I didn't use any insulation. In reality I should imagine it depends where in the UK you live as there would be a big difference in ground temperatures between Truro and Inverness.

I think at 750 you wont have any problems - below the frost line, mine will be laying in the b+b void at ground level close to external wall.  I'm not sure it will freeze down there but NHBC quidelines state adequate precautions when above 750

8.1.3 Water services and supply - NHBC Standards 2021 NHBC Standards 2021 (nhbc-standards.co.uk)

image.thumb.png.ec996cecab857ab46aef11ec046a3cd5.png

Edited by crispy_wafer
Link to NHBC
  • Like 1

IIRC with beam and block and Southern Water means you have to insulate as it's a potential freeze risk.  Personally I did a 100mm twin wall duct and armacell un-split insulation slid over the incoming MDPE until it is underground outside the foundations.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I need to bring the water mains above ground to run under the house that is on piles, 500mm between ground and Beam and Block, from my understanding reading Anglian Water information I have to provide 100mm ducting from before the start of the house and run it the full length to where the pipe enters the house and install insulation in the ducting. I only need 8 metres to be insulated and ducted but looking at the flexible blue ducting it is only sold in 50 metre lengths online.

Has anyone experienced local supplier selling it by the metre rather than 50 metre roll. I know that some ducting pipe is sold in 3 and 6 metre lengths but it is rigid and impossible to bend and I will need to bend it through at least 45-60 degrees in approximately 300mm radius.

What insulation have you used and the thickness of the insulation, any recommended web sites to purchase it from.

What solutions have people used that has been accepted by their water supplier.

Edited by NewToAllOfThis

For ducting we used rigid 110mm underground drainage pipe as the duct, 28mm (i think) armorflex insulation around 25mm mpde pipe.  No bends as it was a straight run, I've got an existing water supply though to the bungalow on site which is going to be demolished, so will be teeing off that when the time comes.  I'm just gonna do what most do round this way, and just crack on with, the water supplier will be non the wiser.