Getting stuff up/down stairs

Is there some way to work out which type of stairs can fit which types of furniture? 

I've never seen some easy way to predict if a "standard couch" can go up a spiral staircase, for example.

My current conundrum is that I am tempted to put a hot tub in some spare basement space, where the stairs are 1m wide.  (in the current design!) 

Of course I can put the tub in before sealing up the basement somewhat but what if it springs a leak or gets embarassingly grotty? How can I be 'reasonably sure' that I can get it out?

basement.thumb.png.768f6593f2424f6906839d3c58f0d3d5.png

(note, this is an 'under stairs' stair, so the right wall is just a flimsy wall that can be taken out.. my *hunch* is it should be doable.. or?

tubstair.thumb.jpg.f8225da786ffab63813acf9e7212f4ba.jpg

14 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Is there some way to work out which type of stairs can fit which types of furniture? 

I've never seen some easy way to predict if a "standard couch" can go up a spiral staircase, for example.

My current conundrum is that I am tempted to put a hot tub in some spare basement space, where the stairs are 1m wide.  (in the current design!) 

Of course I can put the tub in before sealing up the basement somewhat but what if it springs a leak or gets embarassingly grotty? How can I be 'reasonably sure' that I can get it out?

basement.thumb.png.768f6593f2424f6906839d3c58f0d3d5.png

(note, this is an 'under stairs' stair, so the right wall is just a flimsy wall that can be taken out.. my *hunch* is it should be doable.. or?

tubstair.thumb.jpg.f8225da786ffab63813acf9e7212f4ba.jpg

Good luck with that, they are usually craned into position - unless it's a very lightweight bath with spa jets.

If you have straight stairs you may stand more of a chance but curved are always tricky to navigate furniture through.

If you're having wet services, what's your plan to get waste water to ground level? Sump & pump. 

20 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Good luck with that, they are usually craned into position - unless it's a very lightweight bath with spa jets.

Good point. The one I had in mind - https://www.thehottubwarehouse.co.uk/product/the-bliss/?sfw=pass1627298380 - is 150kg dry weight, 5000 quid. 

Will 4 burly guys/gals be able to do this?

Will my stairs actually hold 4 burly guys and a 150kg bath?

If you have straight stairs you may stand more of a chance but curved are always tricky to navigate furniture through.

Absolutely true. 

If you're having wet services, what's your plan to get waste water to ground level? Sump & pump. 

Yep, full sumppump system planned anyway , not in the least because also the chiller coil, washing machines need it.

Edited by puntloos

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I will make ( apologies @joe90 ) a crane out the back for this type of thing . An eBay winch can do 150kg ; used it to get a shower tray in - so will reuse ; eventually…

Where exactly? Above the top of the stairs?  (like so, the coathook indicating position)

winch.thumb.jpg.7bf37d9c0de7a9b5dcc95dd2b966771b.jpg

Can we even pull out the stairs to make way for things going up or down?

5 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Where exactly? Above the top of the stairs?  (like so, the coathook indicating position)

winch.thumb.jpg.7bf37d9c0de7a9b5dcc95dd2b966771b.jpg

Can we even pull out the stairs to make way for things going up or down?

Erm . My build is a bit tricky ? . My ‘ crane ‘ is outside the build . It requires a skilled man to understand my predicament. I don’t know any skilled men , though I know I few skilled women.

15 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Will my stairs actually hold 4 burly guys and a 150kg bath?

This is your issue.

Our stone baths were 180kg each. The temp MDF stairs were held up with 4 screws at the head.

I ended up using a genie lift to get them to first floor level and even that was a bit heart stopping at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

TBH that's the same size as a normal 3 person sofa.

I'd design in a removable piece of floor, with a hook above.

The tricky part there is that our hallway (that goes alll the way up) is above. 

I suppose..... that doesn't *necessarily* have to be a problem to have the winch be 8 metres ... hm.

Are there stairs that can have a piece "easily" removed? Or would you recommend 'middle of the hall'? 

24 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Any reason why the door to the Spa doesn’t open inwards as in its current position, will not comply?

No reason, amateur design on my part. Are you saying regulations are not ok with this?

9 hours ago, puntloos said:

No reason, amateur design on my part. Are you saying regulations are not ok with this?

Your 906 dimension needs to increase to 1162 as that would then provide you with 400mm clearance between the face of the stair and leading edge of the door. Alternatively, change the door so it opens into the Spa.

18 hours ago, puntloos said:

The tricky part there is that our hallway (that goes alll the way up) is above. 

I suppose..... that doesn't *necessarily* have to be a problem to have the winch be 8 metres ... hm.

Are there stairs that can have a piece "easily" removed? Or would you recommend 'middle of the hall'? 

What about using a winch of the hook where you put your big showy light-fitting?