Any experience of the Mitsubishi Lossnay MVHR + GUG unit?

I'm still trying to figure out how to best combine a regular MVHR with an add-on to provide for additional  heating/cooling if required and have come across the Mitsubishi Lossnay system that includes the option of adding a  GUG Air Processing unit (datasheet attached) that can combine with a small  ASHP to provide direct heating or cooling of the supply air.  I'm guessing this unit could be added to any MVHR provided the system had been designed in the first place to allow for increased volumes of air flow to move hot/cold air around to achieve an effective cooling/heating effect.

Has anybody any experience of such a system in a domestic house setting?   Or is this kind of set-up mainly used for commercial buildings?

GUG-010203SL-E_PI_SHEET.pdf

I (and a few others) have a Lossnay MVHR unit operating on it's own.

My concern would be to move a useful amount of heat, you would probably have to have the airflow at a higher rate.  I run ours at the minimum rate most of the time for silent operation, a higher flow to shift enough heat might make it audible.

So I'm guessing you are happy with the Lossnay unit?  Did you source this through BPC?  

What size ducting did you install?  If I was to install bigger ducts this should make it possible to move more air around without it becoming noticeable if the MVHR is sized form the outset for peak flow.    But that is just theory and I have no idea if you can get bigger ducts and vents for domestic use that wont make the install look like an industrial unit.  All part of the research. Comments greatly appreciated

38 minutes ago, cbk said:

So I'm guessing you are happy with the Lossnay unit?  Did you source this through BPC?  

What size ducting did you install?  If I was to install bigger ducts this should make it possible to move more air around without it becoming noticeable if the MVHR is sized form the outset for peak flow.    But that is just theory and I have no idea if you can get bigger ducts and vents for domestic use that wont make the install look like an industrial unit.  All part of the research. Comments greatly appreciated

Mine was one of the Kingspan badged Misubishi Lossnay units that was sold on ebay a few years ago when I think Kingspan abandoned that market.  I only paid about £400 for it. I would have to look up what capacity it is.  I have two 75mm ducts to each terminal and at normal speed it is inaudible.  At boost speed, used when showering, it is a bit noisy and I would not want to have to run it at anything like that speed all the time.

It performs very well, the air in the house is always fresh and heating bills are low so the heat recovery must be working. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cbk said:

slight misnomer here about duct sizes as tbh they are only larger to keep the noise down as airflow increases. The bigger Lossnay units can move more air but become more inefficient. The only “good” thing about most of them is they have the enpalthy heat exchangers so you don’t need any drain with them. 

I have a 35RX5-E and it’s pretty good - I’ve added a post heater but only for upstairs rooms, and that’s pretty effective. 

If I was doing it again ..? I’d check the Blauberg range out as they do post heaters (technically pre heaters) as a plug in option to their MVHR. 

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

I have a 35RX5-E and it’s pretty good - I’ve added a post heater but only for upstairs rooms, and that’s pretty effective. 

If I was doing it again ..? I’d check the Blauberg range out as they do post heaters (technically pre heaters) as a plug in option to their MVHR. 

As a matter of interest if standard ventilation flow rate is 0.5 ACH what  sort of flow rate do you need to benefit form the heating/cooling potential from the air supply?

I will take a look at the Blauberg range but I'm interested in both winter heating and summer cooling options and the cooling bit seems harder to achieve.

2 hours ago, cbk said:

As a matter of interest if standard ventilation flow rate is 0.5 ACH what  sort of flow rate do you need to benefit form the heating/cooling potential from the air supply?

It depend on the temperature you're injecting. Heating it maybe "quite hot" but cooling is limited because of water freezing point (and that you need to insulate all the supply ducting to avoid condensation .)

I made a thread with the detailed calcs over here but the summary for my use case is about 10Watts of heat/cooling per ºC temp difference at "normal" MVHR flow rates, to realistically if I want say 300W of cooling (enough for 2 humans plus some electronics) and can push in 10ºC air, I need 3x the flow rate.