LED lights, fittings and insulation

Alexx

I want to install LED lights on plasterboard that is directly on top of PIR boards on a 5.1x2.2 metres garage that I'm converting to a home office. I was reading that I should have clearance between the lights and the PIR board to allow air circulation, so I was looking for slim profile LED lights, but with so many choices, it is difficult to find the right product and if I'm taking the right way. I initially wanted to put GU10 LED lights in place as there is a lot of options with colour temperature, beam angle and lumens. But slim led lights there is way less choice, also the brands are a bit more obscure.

I was hoping anyone could shed some "light" here to what is the best way forward. The GU light fittings are quite bulky but I have more options compared to the slim LEDS that have an external driver. I was hoping to leave as much insulation in place as possible.

Flat panel LED lights are what you want, they literally fit in the width of a bit of plasterboard.  You will need a bit of clearance for the mounting clip.

Garages usually have plenty of height, so I would batten the ceiling with 25mm battens and then the plasterboard and that will give you plenty of clearance to route the cables and a bit of ventilation.

• Like 2