What do I need to know before buying aggregates?

oldkettle

2 minutes ago, Faz said:

We have Mick George up here trying to drive the competition into oblivion. And it is unfortunately slowly working - short term gains and long term pain I suspect. As for MG - you pay for 20T of stone and get 19 (never had a credit note) that he digs out of his own quarry and ships in his own trucks that occasionally demolish parts of your building - what's not to love....

How do you know you get 19? Is this on the documents he supplies?

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

20 lines for orders 0 for any comeback!

Sorry, this is professional lingo, a translation required for a diyer :) 

Sorry for "laughing" at the broken brickwork - I certainly wouldn't like this/see a funny side. But there is only one option for a reaction.

20 phone lines/ zero....

Putting the bricks straight was a 10 minute job tbh but it is the principal of the thing.  I stuck the fork tines through the side of a truck in the early days while the delivery driver scratched his bollocks and (expletive deleted)ed around on his phone during the offload and had to cough up - how does that all work?

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

20 phone lines/ zero....

of course!

I was thinking about lines in the order form or lines to collect and couldn't make sense of it.

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

Putting the bricks straight was a 10 minute job tbh but it is the principal of the thing.  I stuck the fork tines through the side of a truck in the early days while the delivery driver scratched his bollocks and (expletive deleted)ed around on his phone during the offload and had to cough up - how does that all work?

I thought that for a pro getting this right was not a problem. No idea why they'd not compensate :( 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Just had 10 tonne of type 1 for £190. 

It looks like the washed gravel I was having was £26 a tonne. 

Should have checked I’ve been chucking the good gravel around jus5 to stop a bit of mud. 

the best I can get is 16@370+VAT ? and the nice fella on the other end said that the drive was going to suffer. Well, will lift the pavers and push this MOT in then - it worked for ProDave (found an old thread).

20 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

the best I can get is 16@370+VAT ? and the nice fella on the other end said that the drive was going to suffer. Well, will lift the pavers and push this MOT in then - it worked for ProDave (found an old thread).

i got 20T of 20mm clean quarried granite for £340 + VAT delivered.

I got about 37T of it backfilling my retaining walls on Monday,

6 hours ago, Moonshine said:

i got 20T of 20mm clean quarried granite for £340 + VAT delivered.

I got about 37T of it backfilling my retaining walls on Monday,

Way better. May I ask where this is?

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Thought that block paving would not stand up too well, the pressure the front wheels on those trucks exert is something to be seen. 

well, to start with, the driveway is simply not wide enough for the truck! Fortunately, the entrance is - just.

TBH, I hope they'll go backwards and the front wheels will be outside, but I doubt it will help much :) 

48 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

Way better. May I ask where this is?

Down form near Plymouth, I nearly choked on my hob nob when I worked out it was £17 a ton delivered.

A pile of 20T of stone is a site to see, especially when you know it has to be shifted to behind a retaining wall.

Edited by Moonshine
  • Thanks 2

So my preferred (and recommended) supplier said they were not comfortable with the entrance/drive. Had to find a local company and getting 10t 6F2 tomorrow. He is asking for a pre-payment to what seems like his personal bank account - is this normal?

1 hour ago, oldkettle said:

So my preferred (and recommended) supplier said they were not comfortable with the entrance/drive. Had to find a local company and getting 10t 6F2 tomorrow. He is asking for a pre-payment to what seems like his personal bank account - is this normal?

prepayment is normal unless you have an account. worse case scenario is he does a runner with the money but the cost of 10t of 6F2 isn't going to get him very far so I'd suggest it's a gamble worth taking. ? 

• Thanks 1

Got the delivery this morning. The good news is a 10t tipper had no problem getting in and the driveway is absolutely fine. Even the "lawn" which he had to go onto only gave about 30mm, no issues at all.

A question: do these fines look OK for 6F2? I expected some metal or other larger items but this doesn't look like a crushed concrete :) 

Probably should clarify: feels like soil. 

20210803_173528.jpg

Edited by oldkettle
Picture added