Screening Ideas to Block Chronic Curtain-Twitchers

Maybe you should throw a garden party and get to know your neighbours, they might be very nice people.

My neighbours are lovely people. The one on the left knows everyone and will do you a good turn whenever he can. I recently asked him where is could hire a 3 tonne centre steering dumper, 20 minutes later he turned up with one, a weeks hire cost me  six bottles of wine of Aldi’s finest wine.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Maybe you should throw a garden party and get to know your neighbours, they might be very nice people.

My neighbours are lovely people. The one on the left knows everyone and will do you a good turn whenever he can. I recently asked him where is could hire a 3 tonne centre steering dumper, 20 minutes later he turned up with one, a weeks hire cost me  six bottles of wine of Aldi’s finest wine.

i am a fan of this style.

• Like 1

@Triassic and @Dave Jones I am not blind to the effectiveness of this strategy and use it a lot in business and other areas of life but, alas, we're way past this point and I'm afraid it's a straight-up battle of wills/resources at this point. Luckily, I have more of both than them.

Further, we arrived far, far later than the assorted retirees so any "welcome to the neighbourhood" type affairs could, would, should have happened on their patch(es), at their proactive prompting.

Tbh, their angry, staring red faces have greeted us from pretty much the get-go!

6 minutes ago, harry_angel said:

@Triassic and @Dave Jones I am not blind to the effectiveness of this strategy and use it a lot in business and other areas of life but, alas, we're way past this point and I'm afraid it's a straight-up battle of wills/resources at this point. Luckily, I have more of both than them.

Further, we arrived far, far later than the assorted retirees so any "welcome to the neighbourhood" type affairs could, would, should have happened on their patch(es), at their proactive prompting.

Tbh, their angry, staring red faces have greeted us from pretty much the get-go!

That's so boring.

I have you down as being in historic competition with Sir Christopher Wren to see who can build it more slowly. 

His was 10 years to design and 40 years to build. ?

(PS. Harlech Castle took Edward I seven years from 'Ground to Battlements', which was only one year slower than the "castle in a haystack" bloke.).

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

That's so boring.

I have you down as being in historic competition with Sir Christopher Wren to see who can build it more slowly. 

His was 10 years to design and 40 years to build. ?

(PS. Harlech Castle took Edward I seven years from 'Ground to Battlements', which was only one year slower than the "castle in a haystack" bloke.).

Rush jobs the lot of 'em!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Deepfakes playing on screens visible through the window?

Childish but amusing and saves you the need to walking around in the buff. ?

Back in the real world those willows look ace.

Trellis with creepers is also relatively quick and the trellis itself might break up the view enough to give sufficient privacy even in winter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2021 at 12:56, harry_angel said:

Incomers! Don’t you just love em…. We get it all the time round  here, the farms smells, the church bell is too loud, the farmer should stop hay making  at 5pm, the sheep are to noisy.

• Like 1

one of the greatest ones I heard, and not on 1st Apr, is that the the white mesh covering put on some crops to aid growth should not be allowed.

apparently, it ruins the view for photos.

• Like 1

how about some pleaching frames ?

There is a brand of breathable roofing membrane that is black on onside and white on the other. stapled to a frame you wont really see the black against the tree but the white will be lovely from the other side especially on a sunny day.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2021 at 07:35, Dave Jones said:

how about some pleaching frames ?

There is a brand of breathable roofing membrane that is black on onside and white on the other. stapled to a frame you wont really see the black against the tree but the white will be lovely from the other side especially on a sunny day.

Now this, Mr Jones @Dave Jones is a seriously good idea.

No I had not heard of pleaching frames but I certainly have now...

Much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, harry_angel said:

the one chink in the willow (salix)'s armour though is that it's not evergreen, correct?

I planted poplars between us and next door (only reason is they leave their outside lights on 24/7 facing our conservatory, lounge, dining room). They are very fast growing like willow but yes they are deciduous. I top them off after the leaves have fallen then platt the side branches together to form a screen, just two seasons and it’s almost like a fence.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

"Pleaching", by the sound of it.

Yes, could not think of the name 

38 minutes ago, harry_angel said:

cheers @joe90, care to share a pic?

I will (when it stops pissing  down ?). I just planted them about 800mm apart, didn’t use a frame just wound the branches together after leaf fall after topping them at about 8 ft.