Screening Ideas to Block Chronic Curtain-Twitchers

4 hours ago, harry_angel said:

@Ferdinand were it not for the water pipe and the electricity cable down below I would spend some serious cash on the bamboo and I reckon with some care that would solve the problem quite swiftly, but I can't risk this becoming a boomerang problem via the roots...

Hmmmmmm, it's a tough one....I'm not convinced any of the ideas above will do it tbh.

I need real height, real width and roots that aren't going to cause carnage in future...

Some species of bamboo can grow 4m - 5m high. You can plant them within thick and deep plastic containers that you almost entirely conceal within the ground, with just a couple of inches of the container sticking above the ground (which you can camouflage by choosing the container to be black or dark green). In this way, you control the bamboo's spread. My parents did this and it has worked fairly well, but you really need rather large and deep containers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

Ok so I planted very specific willow and it grew 14 foot in the first year, it will now slow down and the trunks will thicken up. It’s designed for fuel production as a crop that can be harvested within 6 years but it would be the perfect screen for curtain twitching neighbours ! Use it as the quick fix and then plant some slower growing more ornamental plants that will take over in 6 years time, you can then cut the willow down and poison the stumps or cut it and let it regrow. It’s non invasive and only costs 60p per cutting. Salix Viminalis x Schwerinii DRH Brown
https://mammothwillow.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=88

if you want to see photos or need more information just let me know, 

I have no affiliation with the company just a very happy customer. 

Salix Viminalis:

Salix viminalis is a known hyperaccumulator of cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury, petroleum hydrocarbons, organic solvents, MTBE, TCE and byproducts, selenium, silver, uranium, and zinc,[6][7] and as such is a prime candidate for phytoremediation. 

Sounds like something to grow then feed to the neighbours.

Image 1 - 10 Willow Cuttings From Salix viminalis (Basket Willow) Fast Growing, very hardy

(Dig that Simon Cowell waistband ? )

14 hours ago, Temp said:

Otherwise plant what you like and ignore the neighbours. Walk around naked a few times and they will soon stop.

I assumed that is what @harry_angel was doing in the first place and hence the neighbour's interest.

Cheaper than trees https://www.peacocks.co.uk/mens/swim-shorts.html

There is an advantage to curtain twitchers in that they are keeping an eye on your place, give them your phone number and ask them to phone you if you see anything suspicious.

We all keep an eye on each other’s place where I am, quite reassuring.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roys said:

There is an advantage to curtain twitchers in that they are keeping an eye on your place, give them your phone number and ask them to phone you if you see anything suspicious.

We all keep an eye on each other’s place where I am, quite reassuring.

Speaking freely I would rather take a bunsen burner to my Johnson than give my phone number to some of our neighbours, so think yourself extremely fortunate to be surrounded by superior human beings than I am.

Also I have 10 cameras shooting 24/7 in HD and uploading instantly to the cloud so their endless peering lacks value in any way, shape or form.

Also I have 10 cameras shooting 24/7 in HD and uploading instantly to the cloud so their endless peering lacks value in any way, shape or form.

Do any of these cameras show any of your neigbours property or what they are doing? if so, whats the difference ?

@markc do you mean: what's the difference between some hostile 3rd parties peering in to your garden endlessly and you recording said garden yourself via cameras?

Well, with one you have these quasi-invisible machines sitting their silently, and with the latter you get an angry looking retiree's face squinting and scowling at the window, while the curtains move.

You are allowed cameras as long as it picks up your property and no one else's. If you cover another person's property or public areas like a path or road then you have to put up signs informing people they are being recorded.

• Like 1

Wow, this is morphing somewhat...

@dpmiller our cameras solely record our own land (it's a big plot). @Declan52 we have signs up everywhere. So rest easy soldiers.

Meanwhile, back at the main vein aka how to creatively block the view of intrusive, peering, peeping, angry-faced, curtain-twitching retirees staring directly into my land where my little kids play.....

@Cpd we await the pics of your magnificent Salix

11 hours ago, Declan52 said:

If you cover another person's property or public areas like a path or road then you have to put up signs informing people they are being recorded

Really? As long as one isn’t trespassing or deliberately harassing somebody or breaching their right to privacy by continuously recording them, why would it be illegal?  A path or road is not a private place, so no right to privacy there. The outside of someone’s property might be different.

19 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Really? As long as one isn’t trespassing or deliberately harassing somebody or breaching their right to privacy by continuously recording them, why would it be illegal?  A path or road is not a private place, so no right to privacy there. The outside of someone’s property might be different. 

I don't make the law it's just how it is. A relative has the same kind of issues with neighbours and the camera that covers their back garden only covers it and no other persons property and the police where happy. The one or the front as it covers a path and road needs a sign to inform people that they are being recorded.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

5 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I don't make the law it's just how it is. A relative has the same kind of issues with neighbours and the camera that covers their back garden only covers it and no other persons property and the police where happy. The one or the front as it covers a path and road needs a sign to inform people that they are being recorded.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

When Sarah Wellgreen went missing from near here the Police came and specifically asked for any road facing CCTV footage. Huge operation that was. Crap weather for the searchers and dogs too. Very courteous though as they came and asked permission to search on everyone's land here. 

40 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Ah, GDPR nonsense. Shame we didn’t leave the EU before that was forced upon us. 

I can only imagine how horrible it must be to have horrible neighbours, guess I have been and still very lucky to have good neighbours who look out for each other and help each other.

What makes this thread even sadder to me is the OP is building a house, putting money, time, effort and probably his soul into this building, and by the sounds of it there is going to be a toxic relationship between him and these neighbours, definitely not a good situation for the present or the future.

Edited by Roys
Typo
  • Like 3

@Roys not to mention the small and trivial detail that, via my not inconsiderable investment*, I am increasing the value of their properties. Ours is the largest property in the immediate area by some distance, we've massively jacked its value. If we sell, those Zoopla and Rightmove algorithms will ripple out accordingly.

But don't worry about it retirees, you're welcome. You get in my way, constantly peer into my plot with your angry faces, and I increase the value of your houses.

Seems like a square deal.

*the investment is, in reality, considerable.

19 minutes ago, harry_angel said:

not to mention the small and trivial detail that, via my not inconsiderable investment*, I am increasing the value of their properties. Ours is the largest property in the immediate area by some distance, we've massively jacked its value. If we sell, those Zoopla and Rightmove algorithms will ripple out accordingly.

Sounds to me like jealous neighbours that have nothing better to do than sit and watch what your doing. I had one of those quite a while back, so I used to sit in the garden with binoculars and stare back at them, and wave , it worked (some). ?

• Like 1

Photo as promised. The container is 300mm high, the trees directly behind the container are a normal willow planted 3 and a half years ago, there is a row of them along the front, they are about 6-7 foot high the ones behind it are the very quick growing willows and are one and a half years old. 

B8213BDB-3DC2-4746-9B06-ED3DBD8C55A5.jpeg

• Like 3