Window quote comparisons

Shoestring

On 26/07/2021 at 11:37, Shoestring said:

Great, thank you.  Both are companies I have aproached for quotes - Devonshire is the one that all the manufactures have referred me to!  Aspect Windows (the Ideal Combi partner in this neck of the woods, if that's usful info for anyone) has produced an initial quote for me, slightly eyewatering at the moment but they have been very helpful in suggesting changes to bring the cost down.

Just wanted to retract the Aspect windows/ Ideal Combi comment - getting myself in a right muddle.  I hadn't been to Ideal Combi (now I have) I had been to ID Systems and ID Systems is partnered with Devonshire windows in this area.

On the subject of glazed gables and rather going away from the windows topic on hand, I just wondered how others have (or are going to) deal with the structural steels involved? Our goal posts are double storey and the 1st floor part is being bolted to the GF part and then welded but asides from a crane to lift it up I don't know how we are going to achieve this.

Re: Steels,  Same two storey affair here.  Our steel fabricators managed mine, thankfully!  We had two columns bolted to the foundations, these were about first floor height, then a cross bar was bolted between the two (goal post setup), these had plates welded on top, two more steels were then lifted onto the first floor deck and man handled onto the plates and bolted down.  The angular pieces were also man handled into place and bolted together, and a steel ridge beam was then bolted to the top of the gable.

Hopefully this picture (not the best) gives an idea, 

DSC_0247.thumb.JPG.0de09d21d207dc98a559c810d1620513.JPG

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

Re: Steels,  Same two storey affair here.  Our steel fabricators managed mine, thankfully!  We had two columns bolted to the foundations, these were about first floor height, then a cross bar was bolted between the two (goal post setup), these had plates welded on top, two more steels were then lifted onto the first floor deck and man handled onto the plates and bolted down.  The angular pieces were also man handled into place and bolted together, and a steel ridge beam was then bolted to the top of the gable.

Hopefully this picture (not the best) gives an idea, 

DSC_0247.thumb.JPG.0de09d21d207dc98a559c810d1620513.JPG

Ours is exactly the same set up as yours by the sounds of things so two vertical steels to go on top of the ones already there and then another horizontal at wall plate level (this is a bit different from yours) and then the triangular section.  Amazing to hear your guys manhandled it into position, that must have taken quite some doing!  The structural engineeer wanted the vertical steels to all be one peice, from floor of GF to ceiling of 1st floor, but the builder went back and explained how impractical that was, and so it's been broken into two sections to attach to one another, exactly like yours by the sound of it!

• Like 1

I was up there yesterday as the joiners were hand cutting the roof, and it's gonna be a tall old ceiling.  Perhaps it may be too tall. 

I might try to bring the ceiling height down a bit, but leave the window full height, I dont know yet, need to ponder a bit more, pick up a few ideas...

And, I wish I'd have thought about adding a balcony at design so the first floor room could walk out...  Maybe next time.

Edited by crispy_wafer