Window quote comparisons

Shoestring

Hi all,

I have seen quite a few old threads, comparing costs of different manufacturers for glazing (specifically we are hoping to get 2g aluminium clad timber). I have studied the old threads in great detail and approached a good many companies that have been mentioned for glazing quotes.  The biggest issue I have had, is that when I think I have been applying directly through the websites of individual manufacturers, (Velfac, Internorm, Rational, etc) I have then been referred on to local "partners"/ "agents", consisting of only one company, local to me who supplies all these brands.  I am worried that this rather takes away the competition element, to help drive down quotes, if all my options are being supplied by one company. ?

Have things changed over the last few years? Why do I seem unable to go direct to the majority of manufacturers (exceptions have been Nordan & Munster - although seeing the reviews for Munster I don't think I will go through them!)? Is it the area I live in (Devon)?  Or have I gone the wrong way about getting quotes i.e. do I need to ring them rather than filling in online forms and attaching my plans?

We finally started our new build at the end of May after getting pp in July ‘19. We had plenty of time to select and price windows - one of the major costs. There is no substitute for visiting potential suppliers, leaving drawings and requesting quotes. We were staggered by the difference in quotes, we needed 15 frames of varying sizes plus two large sliders, 3m and 6m. Quotes varied from £18k to over £50k, In my experience the companies that travel the expos (or used to), maintain large showrooms and produce glossy brochures are the priciest - guess who pays for the marketing! We looked at them all - and ended up with Rationel TG alu-clad for the frames and Visioglide for the sliders from a local joinery company - about £23k including installation. We were pointed in their direction by Rationel. Been very happy with their service and attention so far, acid test will be delivery and installation scheduled for September. And have the supplier install the windows and take full responsibility, being local they should be available and willing to rectify any issues. 

• Thanks 1

Manufacturers deal with distributors rather than direct in most cases. In most cases the factory discount will be the same or thereabouts no matter the distributor (manufacturer dependant).

Some better performing ones might have a slightly better main discount. 

Generally speaking though, it will be the distributors mark up/discount that makes the difference.

We don’t have an all singing and all dancing showroom ourselves as we like to use our clients and their properties. We like to give them an incentive, if it results in a sale. We like to keep things as minimal as possible so we’re not over stretched or over pricing or having to feed a massive beast. They could be paying £5k+ a month just to rent premises and then have £10/20K+ each month on salaries. 

Someone has to pay for it.

Some manufacturers will deal direct but put you to a recommended installation team. As they don’t want the hassle with installs.

A lot is also based on volume. Some will cut prices down massively and concentrate on volume sales. 

Our Velfac windows involved dealing directly with the manufacture as far as I am aware. The first quote (contact via web) was May 2020 so policy May have changed since. Velfac don’t install and appear to provide details of the sale to a network of installation partners - we magically got a couple of quotes from installers.

Our front door was via Kloeber which again was direct with the manufacturer as far as I’m aware. First quote also May 2020.

Our roof lights are Velux and you can buy direct from their web site but we got them at lower cost from Jewson.

We self installed all our windows. 

Edited by Hilldes

15 hours ago, Oldsteel said:

By the way, yes you are right to steer clear of Munster joinery … 

I think it's worth adding there that some have used them OK, but found the relationship to be quite hard work and needing thorough supervision.

• Thanks 1

I don't know, this has not been my intention - do you think the result would vary if I did that?  I put together a list from a few threads but namely "cost for good quality triple glazing", (I know it's an old thread and I know it's triple glazing not double but it was REALLY helpful!).  Going through the list of manufacturers, I went to the websites for each and requested quotes through their online forms/sent emails, depending on what was required, (from the ones that allow) others refer you straight away to their local partners/ distributors. 

We approached two local distributors of Internorm: one came back at 22k and the other 32k. We pushed the former harder and agreed at a shade over 20k in the end. The latter then said they would match it if it fell through! Goes to show how much of a mark-up some of these firms expect to make. Pays to shop around...

Edited by Tom
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

We approached two local distributors of Internorm: one came back at 22k and the other 32k. We pushed the former harder and agreed at a shade over 20k in the end. The latter then said they would match it if it fell through! Goes to show how much of a mark-up some of these firms expect to make. Pays to shop around...

Tom, I see you are in Devon too.  Please can you tell me the names of the distributors you used?

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Aspect Windows in Exeter and Devonshire Windows in Newton Abbot - both good to deal with tbh.

Great, thank you.  Both are companies I have aproached for quotes - Devonshire is the one that all the manufactures have referred me to!  Aspect Windows (the Ideal Combi partner in this neck of the woods, if that's usful info for anyone) has produced an initial quote for me, slightly eyewatering at the moment but they have been very helpful in suggesting changes to bring the cost down.

19 hours ago, Oldsteel said:

We finally started our new build at the end of May after getting pp in July ‘19. We had plenty of time to select and price windows - one of the major costs. There is no substitute for visiting potential suppliers, leaving drawings and requesting quotes. We were staggered by the difference in quotes, we needed 15 frames of varying sizes plus two large sliders, 3m and 6m. Quotes varied from £18k to over £50k, In my experience the companies that travel the expos (or used to), maintain large showrooms and produce glossy brochures are the priciest - guess who pays for the marketing! We looked at them all - and ended up with Rationel TG alu-clad for the frames and Visioglide for the sliders from a local joinery company - about £23k including installation. We were pointed in their direction by Rationel. Been very happy with their service and attention so far, acid test will be delivery and installation scheduled for September. And have the supplier install the windows and take full responsibility, being local they should be available and willing to rectify any issues. 

By the sounds of things you dealt directly with Rationel then?  

3 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

By the sounds of things you dealt directly with Rationel then?  

No - local supplier did all the specs and quotes. And once you get to actually place the order there is a whole new level of detail, rightly so IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Oldsteel said:

No - local supplier did all the specs and quotes. And once you get to actually place the order there is a whole new level of detail, rightly so IMO. 

Ah, I thought Rationel had sent you to a local joinery company just for the sliders but it was the whole thing.  Thank you for clarifying, that's helpful to know.

We used velfac in January 2021 this is just before they switched to the agent model later that month like a number of them now seem to only do. They were a very good price For 2G aluclad 13k excluding fitting for 50sqm including a 6m bipart, 2 sliding patios, another door & the front door (this last element I don’t recommend in hindsight but it was good value). We took all the risk & agreed sale with a brexit clause in October 2020, I’m not sure if this influenced the price but it was quite nerve wracking wondering what imports we might pay in January and whether the windows would fit as this is the risk you take on when you direct buy. All the selling partner quotes we got were between 27-30k for the same type of thing excluding fitting (they all asked for an extra 4-5k fitting), the only exception was ideal combi who direct quoted at 19k excluding fitting, maybe try them if you don’t get any bargains through the selling partners (which we couldn’t find). Our fitting through a velfac installer was 3.7k.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oldsteel said:

The more quotes you get the more you will learn what is good value. And quotes are free, your time spent will be worth it. And yes, different agents/distributors of the same product will provide varying quotes.

I got 5 quotes and there was not that much difference in the prices.... I would have said go for fewer quotes as it is not just time for the buyer but also the seller. These quotes were though direct from manufacturers and it looks like even Velfac now no longer supply direct (rh2205's post), so with their partner/agent/distributor model it may indeed be wise to get more quotes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shoestring said:

I don't know, this has not been my intention - do you think the result would vary if I did that? 

we got quotes from a couple of different Internorm providers and they were very different. In the end we went for Norrsken and were very happy with their price and the quality of the windows/doors in their showroom. They also install with in-house installers so they're responsible for supply and install which means only one point of contact.

• Thanks 1

I went to Nordan yesterday to look at their showroom in Exeter and I am now waiting for a quote from them.  I have one local "partner" who couldn't find time to even look at my quote for two weeks!  I haven't tried Norrsken yet, but I am on the case now Thorfun!

Has anyone else done a glazed gable?  We are looking for double sliders on the GF and also for the juliet balcony above (ideally) but could compromise on a tilt and turn for the juliet - one company thought it might be in the ball park of £9k+ for the whole thing - ouwch!  Would be good to hear what other people have spent and opinions on our ball park price.  

45 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

I haven't tried Norrsken yet, but I am on the case now Thorfun!

good luck. we've just finalised our schedule and will sign the contract this week ready for installation in October. 

they've been very good throughout the whole process and hopefully the delivery and installation will be just as good! 

53 minutes ago, Shoestring said:

Has anyone else done a glazed gable?  We are looking for double sliders on the GF and also for the juliet balcony above (ideally) but could compromise on a tilt and turn for the juliet - one company thought it might be in the ball park of £9k+ for the whole thing - ouwch!  Would be good to hear what other people have spent and opinions on our ball park price.  

We have glazed gables, with tilt & turn doors, triple glazed alu clad. £3.3K each inc VAT, excl delivery...927336216_Screenshot2021-07-27at18_39_57.png.78544c6dc859b081dabdd3b12ab71766.png

Edited by Hilldes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking to go with a glazed gable here, local company to me provided a quote, prices for the gable below.  All alumininium windows, including installation eye wateringly 37k, need to re-evaluate all the other windows.  Getting some other quotes off plan at the moment.

image.png.1ea5a9b4d1eec1ed2a5dada3ca76965b.png

• Thanks 1

That's good to know, it's nice sharing glazed gables! I shall have to see if I can get a plan view of ours up here too.  Looking at all your quotes for the glazed gables I think the ball park for ours at £9k doesn't seem too bad, it may come in at more, I am just waiting for an official quote and that price I'm told will not include installation.

Our 18 other windows are currently at about £18k (inc installation) + VAT.