Decorative Ridge Tile Angles

vekz

I've recently bought a new house (mid-terraced, Victorian). I wanted to put some decorative ridge tiles on the roof which I am replacing. However you have to order these online as many don't stock the these.

When ordering there are different options:

1) GRC 450mm Universal [Suitable for pitches of 18 degrees - 37 degrees] 

2) GRC 450mm - 75 degree, 90 degree, 105 degree and 115 degree. 

There's a lead time to order these so I want to avoid getting it wrong.

I was wondering if the universal would be suitable (although I'm not sure what angle this would be) or whether I should try and get  the specific angle? A picture of the roof type is attached below. 

Thank you in advance

Roof.JPG

You need to know the angle.

So you need the width of the building, the eaves height and the ridge height, and of course subtract them.

and watch out for the change in shape at the brick parapet.

Then either Pythagoras, or a scale drawing and you will have your angle. 

It looks as if you may have to ask at the end of terrace, but presumably all the roofs are the same.

thank you for all your help. Got the angle. 

I was wondering if any roofers could provide their opinion on putting decorative ridge tiles (Angle) along the ridge line of a roof with Concrete Interlocking Roof Tiles. 

Where I have seen them predominantly is on roofs made of slate. Where interlocking roof tiles are used, the ridge is usually segmental. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something silly?

Thanks 

Will the bow in the ridge cause a problem with taller fancy ridge tiles?

I also agree with the sentiment that trying too hard in this terrace situation will make the roof too distinctive and sends a message to the world "eccentric owner lives here".

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your help.

Just to provide an update for anyone in the future considering adding decorative ridge tiles in the future based on my experience:

1. I decided to replace the roof - espsilongreedy pointed out it had significant problems and was bowing so went for it. 

2. I used Rockroofingproducts (John Ratcliffe) who supplied me with the decorative ridge tiles and helped with colour matching. The 105 degree ridge tile is what many other websites may refer to as a universal ridge but was the closest match to my roof.

3. I decided to go for a dry ridge which rockroofingproducts adjust the ridge tiles to accommodate to allow for the fixings. Lead time is generally 2 weeks so best to speak to the roofer and order in advance if you are considering them. 

attached is a picture. 

roof to share2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I can see you opted for a comprehensive job with a repointed chimney as well.

Do you have a difficult neighbour on the left of the photo? I ask because on the right the dividing capping stones have been fully pointed or relaid but repointed to exactly the boundary on the left.