Don't buy cheap batteries

Conor

You know those cheap replica batteries on eBay and Amazon? Best to avoid, unless you like your power tools exploding in your hand.

Obviously the claimed overload and over heating protection didn't work. The heat probe tape had come free and was no longer in contact with the cells. Happened when I was doing a particularly tough rip with the circular saw. 

The solder on the other battery melted away on one of the tabs previously. Should have taken that as a warning sign.

IMG_20210721_135559.jpg

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What blew, the battery pack rather than the tool?

Oh, the battery. My circular saw is really, really hard on batteries. The Makita one does just fine, the copy ones literally melt.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Is it the actual cells that fail, or the protection circuit?

The protection circuits didn't do the job and the cell at the front of the picture overheated and failed - with loud popping sounds and smoke.. was promptly thrown out on to the gravel until it calmed down. Surprised the whole thing didn't go up.

• 2 months later...

Well these appear to be w@nk! Bought a pair in July. Used at the weekend in my genuine Makita impact driver. One failed instantly. The second has one bar but put in the genuine Makita charger and though it appears to start charging the red fault light soon appears. Only a matter of time before it dies I guess.

www.ebay.co.uk

2X 18V 5AH BL1850 LXT Li-Ion Battery For Makita BL1840 BL1830 BL1860 Cordless UK 88381464123 | eBay

2 x 5.0AH 18V Battery for Makita BL1850 Li-ion. For Makita194204-5,194205-3,194309-1,BL1815,BL1830,BL1835. for Makita BML184, for Makita BML185,for Makita BST221Z, for Makita BTDW251Z,for Makita ML185, for Makita TD140D, for Makita TW251D.
www.ebay.co.uk

I've contacted the seller. Not getting my hopes up.

Did get a lead on hopefully cheap, genuine Makita batteries. Rang them up. Scarce on the ground. A few months ago he was doing 5Ah for £50 - 60. All he could offer was 6.0Ah genuine Makita at £85 +VAT. Reckons it'll get worse/prices going up as some issues with lithium.

B@ll@cks to that, looks like I'll be digging out my corded and extension lead like in the old days.

All part of the grand Chinese plan I reckon, make the West reliant on this stuff then turn the tap off!