Glass thickness - julitte balcony

MarkyP

does anyone know the rules on glass type and thickness for a juliette balcony? I've been getting some conflicting advice from suppliers. The balcony is face fixed to the frame of the french doors with a frame system, there is no top or bottom rail, the glass spans the opening fixed either side. The glass will be 1100mm high for the protection from falling regs but in terms of glass thickness and type I've been told 10mm toughened is sufficient and another saying 17.5mm toughened and laminated is required. The width of the opening is 1750mm. thanks

I understand it needs to be toughened and laminated as there is no independent handrail.

I think the minimum thickness is 13.5mm but check with the supplier.  When they do a system they normally have all the calcs to back it up.

• Like 1

+2 

Toughened glass can still shatter but does so in small bits to prevent deep cuts.

Laminated holds itself together to prevent you falling once its shattered...

https://www.elitebalustrade.com/glass-juliet-balcony/?v=79cba1185463

Glass types and colours

Glass used is typically 12mm toughened clear glass for the handrail designs and 13.5mm toughened laminated glass for no-handrail designs. We can also offer a range of options with coloured or opaque / translucent glass. Other glass thicknesses can be accommodated up to 17.5mm in thickness.

Seems there are also different types of core used in laminstead glass... 

https://www.narm.org.uk/glass-rooflights-clarifying-safety-standards-and-recommendations-for-specifiers/

Laminated Glass
Laminated panes are produced by bonding a film, or interlayer between two or more plies of glass (typically annealed /heat strengthened or toughened glass). If fractured, the interlayer holds the broken shards of glass, preventing injury to those immediately below the rooflight. The interlayer, depending on thickness, material and pane size, may also have the ability to hold a load lying on the glass, preventing falls from height through the rooflight.

There are two basic form of interlayer – PVB (polyvinyl butyral) or ionomer. PVB interlayers are the most commonly used in glass for the majority of domestic and architectural applications. However, ionomer interlayers offer five times the shear strength and up to 100 times the rigidity of conventional PVB interlayers. This makes it an excellent candidate for demanding architectural and structural applications. Along with its high strength, ionomer interlayers are also less susceptible to moisture penetration or hazing over time.

Bear in mind that the toughening process is a little unpredictable, and toughened glass will occasionally fail due to heat, a sharp shock, or occasionally even spontaneously.

I'd argue that this isn't the place to save a few quid, and in any event, I doubt the cost for laminated and toughened glass is all that much in the context of everything else you're spending.