Stair lifts……

So after some discussion with my aging parents we have decided that the best thing moving forward is to bring them to live with me, I have an empty cottage that is available and it’s right next door to me so that’s very convenient. I will want to make various alterations to make it old people friendly and one of the big issues is the stairs. I do not want to spend thousands on a stair lift that will become redundant when my parents pass on…. My preference would be buying second hand. I am sure @Onoff could come up with a home made contraption and at the end of the day I am open to ideas as it’s all very new to me. I am just wanting to hear any advice people may have about moving this project forward over the next 12 months. Thanks. Cpd 

You can pick them up for peanuts secondhand on Gumtree. 

Often you'll have to take tools and remove / transport it yourself. Can be pretty cheap too as people want shot of the memories etc...so turn that to your advantage. You may of course have to deal with a grieving family, telling you how Mum loved going up and down. They might also smell like when Brian Potter's packed up in the power cut...

Or make one...

potter_001

Add rope or cheap engine hoist...

?

• Thanks 1

My daughter took on a house with a stair lift. Put it on line for 'free to collector' but nobody response.

I think eventually through Age Concern or such, a need was found and it was taken away.

So try both as sources.

They really are as simple as that wonderful technical drawing above, although it omits the motor for clarity.

if you find one thats local they are pretty easy to remove complete. some have batteries in the 'chair' so remove those to make it lighter to transport. a borrow of a decent trailer or a recovery truck to transport them on and a few hands is usually the difficult part.

4 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

. a borrow of a decent trailer or a recovery truck to transport them on and a few hands is usually the difficult part.

Thanks, luckily I am very capable and removing one would not pose a problem, also I have a large landrover and trailer so should hopefully manage the logistics. 
just got to build my polly tunnel to act as storage for all the stuff I have in the cottage at the moment….. 

1 hour ago, wozza said:

Can you convert  a ground floor room into a bedroom with a bathroom?

Its just a small cottage and the downstairs will be open plan kitchen and living room, upstairs will be two bedrooms and a bathroom, was planning a single bathroom close to both bedrooms…... Upstairs does have a door to the outside as it used to be a hayloft and the topography of the ground outside means there will be a short ramp to the road out back, not sure if this will be any use to them but hayho.