None Negligent insurance

DerbyLad

Hi All,

My self build project is an infill, between two existing houses.  I have self build insurance in place but having done some internet searching I have come across Non Negligent insurance. Had a quote at £1900 which is more that my self build policy.  Is this type of insurance really needed for self build or is it more for commercial?  Have any of you seasoned developers out there taken out this type of insurance?  

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks

Not an expert.....BUT

If your current insurance does not already cover damage to neighbouring properties, then I would be surprised, and concerned.

I think this is more for commercial construction where a small builder may not have enough cover for damage beyond the project value.

Insurers will sell you this happily whether you need it or not. So I suggest check out your current cover, and ask the broker to confirm.

And best not be (or let workers be) negligent, or you don't have any cover at all. Many insurers' priority is to deny any claim, and one even boasted to me of how little they pay out.

+1

Some companies that sell non-negligent insurance claim other policies only cover you if the damage to a neighbour results from your negligence. So read the T&C for your site insurance policy and see what it says.

Thanks for the replies,

My insurance does cover me for damage to neighbouring properties but only if I or my builder are negligent.  If by doing the works on site, damage is caused to my neighbours property, perhaps cracks appear in their walls, and the builder has done all the works correctly, who picks up the bill?  This is the case that my insurer made to me and why they say I should get it.  I'm not defending the insurer I just would like to know if other self builders purchase this type of policy.

Dont forget the neighbours would have to prove your work was responsible for the damage.  How close will your foundations be to theirs? All houses on same level?

If the neighbours walls are well established and not cracked then its very unlikely they will do unless someone is negligent on your build. Excavate close to or under your neigbours house and there is a good chance it will fail. You have to se common sense and if something doesnt look or feel right then stop! take a step back and reassess the task.

• Thanks 1