Painting Doors / Wood work

steveoelliott

Hi Folks,

I have a couple of questions for the decorating experts...

I am in the process of looking for a decorator to essentially decorate the whole house in stages. I've had a couple previously but been left disappointed by  a lack of attention to detail / finishing. As an example paint ending up on hinges / door furniture etc. I admit I am a perfectionist but I don't mind paying top money for a top finish.

Do most decorators remove doors / to paint the architrave? Without doing so it would be (certainly for somebody like me) very difficult to not get paint on hinges or miss out areas etc.

The second question (can of worms open) is whether to go with oil or water based. I've been told to opt for oil based satin. Apparently it's hard wearing and doesn't yellow as quickly as oil based gloss. I did once use Johnstones water based gloss and the finish was OK but no where as nice as oil based.

Thanks folks

Thanks Tony...

If you see an example of my doors / hinges, they look to be tricky to get around but based on what you have said, a competent decorator should capable of avoiding getting paint etc on hinges / door furniture?

It just seems easier to me to take them off and then you can get to the architrave properly.

IMG_5312.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

They're pretty standard.  I did mine to an acceptable standard, and I'm pretty fussy.  Paintbrush in one hand, wet wipe in the other! ?

If you take them off, you'll get paint in the hinge cut outs and then the hinges won't sit flush.  Offer to pay an hourly rate if your concerned about a slap-dash job.

I only use water-based paints now (usually Albany acrylic eggshell from Brewers).  The finish is good if you don't over-brush, and brush clean-up is sooo much easier.