Failed Glazing Unit :(

iSelfBuild

Very gutted to see that the only piece of glass that I didn't supply myself has failed in our lodge...

It's a triple glazed unit and the glass spacer bars / mastic appears to be dripping (melting) and running down the glass.  No doubt it will mist over come winter.

We used GP200 Glazing Silicone... I'm worried it has reacted. It says Acetic acid is evolved during curing and also EUH208 contains 2-Octyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one 

Does anyone know if this is the sort of silicone which is safe for use or is my supplier going to worm their way out of this. It has been fitted about 4 years.

20210722_131045.jpg

20210722_130954.jpg

I can tell you, this is an installation error and not product related.

I would presume that GP200 is not designed for glazing at all or Soudal Silirub N (or similar) has been used and this should not be in direct contact with the hot melt, for the reasons you see above. I can tell you from experience, that one of our installers had used N for years and not Silirub 2. Hadn't ever experienced this issue because the glass used in the UK is generally taped. It's not from Europe.

Until roughly £20k of glass experienced this issue. It's very important to use products designed for the job and GP200 is not designed for this job.

Soudal Silirub N 

a72260a0f4dddd383c6aa6958f07a600.png

Edited by craig