Will widening my connection to Thames Water make a difference?

hendriQ

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Hi @Oldsteel after the survey, how long did it take to get the work done to actually connect it?

I'd also be interested to know. Annoyingly Thames Water are not very precise when giving estimates. They just tell me to pay their survey fee and then I can find out after the Survey.

I just don't have a feel for whether my current pressure of about 2.8 to 3.0 bar and a flow rate of 20L/min is sufficient for our purposes. Say I have a rain shower on, a normal shower on and then somebody turns the kitchen tap on to do some washing up. Will I lose a lot of pressure in the rain shower?

So after much prevaricating, I finally decided to pay the application fee to get a quote and a "design" from Thames Water. Daylight robbery. To dig up 3m of footpath (and I don't know how they calculated that because the footpath is no wider than 1.7m) and 1m of road and do the connection, they are asking me for £3,900 and say it will take up to 3 months to get it done.

What is baffling is that they do not state, anywhere on the quote, what is the minimum flow rate and pressure that they will provide for this crazy fee. I will call them tomorrow, but I am not hopeful. Other option is to spend money on one of the accumulation tanks or pump systems discussed on this forum, e.g. here, but that has it's own problems as the only real place I've got space for that is the Loft and there, even though we have new posi joists at 400mm centres, I don't think they were designed to hold so much weight!