Plumbing system DHW design conundrum

SimonD

1 hour ago, markocosic said:

Do draw the schematic and I suspect you'll be fine without dhw recirculation - depends on your desired flowrates and wait times.

If there is a lot of large bore primary DHW pipework from the cylinder to the manifold, you're screwed. Even with 10mm radial to a basin, you'll be waiting a LONG time to get hot water.

On 23/07/2021 at 22:36, SimonD said:

SWMBO requires ready and instant access to hot water at the kitchen sink and basins for regular use (I do too as in our last place hot water supply to the kitchen sink was terrible, you could go and have a cup of tea waiting).

BOOM ?. There goes the dynamite :D 

6 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Has anyone here just considered a boiling water tap and doing away with dhw to kitchen 

Yes. Can work well if the hot water demand is low there. There are boiling water taps which have a small tank and the water gets blended to produce DHW, just limited amounts. Probably suffice if you have a dishwasher and just a couple / small household.

I am a bit of a fan of simple gravity fed systems.

I agree that my shower pump is noisy, but it is a retro fit, and only cost 100 quid.

All this talk about fitting this and that to boost flow (pressure is rather irrelevant, not much flow in a jet wash, but you don't want to shower under one), rather reminds me of those Heath Robinson contractions.

Aims and Objectives. Decide what you want, then work backwards, it is how man got to land in the moon, and return safely.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm slowly progressing with this, along with all the other things to juggle while building on your own.

Can someone point me in the direction of manufacturers/suppliers for a 300l accumulator suitable for external installation as I'm going to really struggle to get this inside but have an ideal place outside where the mains comes into the house. And also the same for thermal a large 300l thermal store with a secondary return? Internet search algorithms seem to have decided I don't need anything bigger than 250l!

MTIA

2 hours ago, SimonD said:

And also the same for thermal a large 300l thermal store with a secondary return?

Depends what sort of TS you want ..?? If you go with a coil in tank TS then you just tee in to the cold feed into the coil and put a pair of non return valves in - one on the return flow from the loop and the second on the cold input prior to the tee to stop any return flow into the cold unless you’ve installed a PRV.