Sunny_Arms

Inherited rundown house

My husband recently inherited a house from his uncle. When we went there to check the place out, it looks so rundown and outdated. Well, I mean the insides. The outsides just needs some new gutters and fresh coat of paint. We're meeting with an inspector tomorrow so we'll know more but by the looks of it, the major foundations of the house are sturdy. Anyways, the first thing I want to renovate is the kitchens. I read aroung Houzz and scroll through Pinterest and I see really great ideas. But this URL is really the one that gave my ideas to some actual planning. Oh and we're thinking of getting the kitchen and the grill (which is outside)side by side together with just the wall separating them. Is that a good ideas? Also, can you give me some ideas or tips on how to get started? What should I do first?

The first thing you will need to think about is the fabric of the house followed by the plumbing, the heating and the electrics. Frankly you will be a fair way off planning your luxury Kitchen. When you are ready for that start with a list of your kitchen needs, followed by your wants. Collect pictures and details of kitchen things etc that you like. Several kitchen studios will carry out a design for you, and turn your ideas into something that will actually work for you. Congratulations on your new house.

• Like 1

WELCOME TO THE FORUM FOR PEOPLE LIKE US.

Fabric first - no point in fitting a new kitchen if the electrics all need replacing. Once that is in hand you can think about the kitchen. A couple of questions come to mind.

1. Will you be living at the property, renting it out or selling it one once renovated. The answer to this tells you what to prioritise.
  2. Once you have answered Q1 you can think about the budget and how that will be used. You can spend money saving time - IE get a kitchen design and fit company in to do all the work. OR you can save money by spending time IE you do some / all of the install. If you choose option 1 get a couple of designers around and interview them - work with someone you feel you can trust or go to one of the big sheds and get their design team in to do the work. Option two get a design on paper and then tout the components around the big sheds and Howdens (many others are available).

Then sit back and enjoy the experience whatever you choose,

Roll back to your objectives before diving in.

Question 1 - What are your plans for the property? 

F