Fermacell, Verspaanel, Magply for sheathing

molynoox

Hi,
I am building a 9 x 4m workshop / garden room
I am trying to do it in accordance with building regs and permitted development - one of the regs is regarding fire resistance of buildings which are within 1m of boundary fence. I did speak to building control to talk things through and they seem happy for me to use a cement board (instead of OSB) on the outside as sheathing, thus making my build exempt from building control.
There appear to be three options:
1. Fermacell
2. Versapanel
3. Magply

I have heard stories about the weight and difficulty cutting these types of materials

Questions
1. Which is the most recommended product from those three options or are there others I have missed?
2. Am I mad? - most people (even garden room companies) are using OSB, even on builds which are tight on the boundary (<1m)

thanks
Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

I used Fermacell basically instead of the plasterboard, or grooved MDF in attached drawing.. It's about twice the weight of plasterboard, not sure about the ease of cutting as I wasn't actually around when it was fitted, but nice and tough for any wall mounted items etc.

Floor1.jpg.144934b5494009b2a90b138a6d0d052d.jpg

Garage Floor.png

DSC_5851.jpg

• 1 month later...

oops, totally forgot about this post

thanks for the replies

planning officer I spoke to said I need both the cladding and the sheathing to be non-combustible. feels a little like overkill to me but then what do I know

damn nice looking workshop Sandy!