U value block and beam?

DragsterDriver

If you allow more height in your build up you can use a cheaper insulation 

design it in now. 

If I was doing mine again I would have 250mm of eps. 

I have 200mm now. It’s cheap as chips compared to pir insulation. 

Buy direct from the factory, eps 100 not the flimsy stuff you find in wickes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragsterDriver said:

That floorspan system

Make sure that you can actually order that. When I was searching few suppliers were interested in a small private project, and when it came to order no one was, all their output being sucked by major developers. Ended up with standard beam and block with PIR on top and worse U than wanted and planned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

Morning!

can anybody advise on my block and beam- what U value i need?

not a passiv house but very well insulated timber frame with underfloor heating :) 

https://www.floorspan.co.uk/efloor-plus/system-overview/

Thanks!

Took the advice of many on here and designed in 3 course's of brick above the beam floor to give 175 eps and 50mm flow screed , sap calcs show a u value of .12 . Used floorspan for the block and beam floor no issues 3 week turnaround from order to delivery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragsterDriver said:

Soon find out!

I just received my floorspan quote using the 200mm EPS infills, it is £200 cheaper than using concrete blocks, I can use thinner PIR ontop saving another £1300 and have a higher U value by 0.1.

Delivery I was quoted was 5-6 weeks

I think the costs difference has somewhat todo with the current concrete block price.

The only downside is the polystyrene infills need protection from impacts during the build.

Edited by Scoobyrex
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Scoobyrex said:

I just received my floorspan quote using the 200mm EPS infills, it is £200 cheaper than using concrete blocks, I can use thinner PIR ontop saving another £1300 and have a higher U value by 0.1.

Delivery I was quoted was 5-6 weeks

I think the costs difference has somewhat todo with the current concrete block price.

The only downside is the polystyrene infills need protection from impacts during the build.

Most block and beams I work off nowadays are flow screeded at dpc stage before superstructure. 

Have nhbc not bought some new regs in about mesh and structural screeds over block and beam?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Most block and beams I work off nowadays are flow screeded at dpc stage before superstructure. 

Have nhbc not bought some new regs in about mesh and structural screeds over block and beam?

the insulated ones should have a mesh embedded slap above- which I’ll put the underfloor in and power float before erecting the timber frame :) 

33 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

the insulated ones should have a mesh embedded slap above- which I’ll put the underfloor in and power float before erecting the timber frame :) 

So you would mesh and screed, then add a membrane, PIR or EPS, underfloor heating then screed again.

there goes the height and the cost savings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoobyrex said:

So you would mesh and screed, then add a membrane, PIR or EPS, underfloor heating then screed again.

there goes the height and the cost savings.

Nope.beams, infilled with insulated blocks, insulation board, mesh, ufh pipes, concrete topping , not screed. 

I would have done this but but it was a couple of grand dearer, being that insulation was dear and blocks cheap. 

Funny how its changed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scoobyrex said:

ok, so it would mean i finish the sub floor before the rest of the build,  that's do-able

Yes, it’s a bit of a pain and one reason I didn’t do it, because I’m building in icf I needed to screw lots of props into the floor to support the walls which I was unhappy doing with the ufh pipes there. 

However another forum member did it and used boards on top of his concrete to screw his braces into. 

If you go timberframe the erection team need to know that they cannot screw anything into the floor. 

One lad on here had a very nasty surprise when his team drilled multiple holes in his floor. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Scoobyrex said:

Its traditional block and brick, not timber frame.  My interior walls will also be block, presume the 1st course of these can be put in. and put the insulation, ufh and screed around them.

You need to get your terminology correct, I believe that if you use the insulated In fill panels then you need a structural concrete topping. 

This is not screed, screed has very little strength. 

Refer to the floor manufacturers guidelines. 

Yes you are correct, I used the wrong term it would be concrete.

So do I put the concrete internal walls directly on the beam and block, and then fit the insulation, UFH, and concrete around them, or do the blocks for the interior walls go ontop of the concrete finish of the floor ?

Edited by Scoobyrex

Most new builds I'm in have a dpc between block and concrete floor with these blocks sitting ontop not coming up through. I'm not sure if they align with beams underneath or have some massive cold bridge with a wall underneath the beams interrupting the insulation? Must pay more attention next time when a plot is pre pour. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Most new builds I'm in have a dpc between block and concrete floor with these blocks sitting ontop not coming up through. I'm not sure if they align with beams underneath or have some massive cold bridge with a wall underneath the beams interrupting the insulation? Must pay more attention next time when a plot is pre pour. 

Usually a massive cold spot!