Fitting Rationel with timber cladding ?

Firsttimer

We are cladding our ICF build with timber and have been looking at Rationel. In order to accommodate ventilation and drainage holes we've been told by ADW that we can't have any cladding in front of the windows. What they have suggested doing is to have a timber packing as per the attached PDF.

I'm not sure about this as an approach and was wondering if anyone had any input ?

Has anyone on the forum who has used Rationel and clad in timber gone this route ? Pros / cons ?

I've not started to look into the details of how other brands would need to be fixed. Is this an approach that I might need to take with other brands also ?

20210524124406.pdf

This would apply to any window as far as I can see. The window is simply packed out with a timber spacer to avoid burying the frame under cladding. Frame needs to sized accordingly, ie. opening dimensions - (cladding + battens).

The reason Rationel do if this way, is they want the frame to be able to breath as far as I understand. Doesn’t make sense to me as the system will breath irrespective of cladding over the frame.

Over cladding is a pretty standard detail tbh.

The other concern of Rationel, particularly if rendering, is they do not want the gap between the timber frame, and the aluminium cladding, getting filled up with render if you render straight to the window and squash it down against the window.

I don't see a problem with timber cladding up to the front of the windows ali cladding, that is exactly what I have done. There is no risk of blocking the gap between the ali cladding and timber window frame and it is in a ventilated space,