Hello

Ermintrude

I just wondered if anyone could give me any advice please…..

I have a mortgage in place but for completion they require a building warranty.

The property is completed and is a converted commercial property to a lower residential flat

The builders are a small company 

My lender will not accept an architectural certificate and has given me a list of companies they will accept from

The problem is that already a couple on the list have said no and 2 have folded in the past year

I really don’t want to give up on this as it’s been a long process and I love it

Thanks

Firstly welcome. 

Secondly I’m surprised that the builders didn’t know that anyone buying the property with a mortgage would need a warranty to be in place. A builder can’t generally get a self build warranty as many of them will have clauses that say that the self builder needs to live in the property for a year or 2 following completion. This is to stop commercial builders from using them. The warranty will need to be put in place by the builder, not you, and as it’s a commercial enterprise they will only be able to use certain providers such as LABC and NHBC. I suspect any retrospective warranty will cost several thousands of pounds. Your other option may be to look for a lender that will accept an architects certificate. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

Be vary careful. I think a small time builder converting commercial properties to flats open to a lot of abuse, rule misunderstanding and fraud.

There was a reason no Fensa certificate was available for my front door, the fitters were crooks and conned the previous owner.

You may be better off walking away now. 

• Thanks 1