More workshop advice needed...

Omnibuswoman

We have reached the stage now of putting the fascia and soffit boards onto the roof, swiftly followed by fitting the EDPM roof covering. But we have hit a problem...

Measuring the distance between the outside of the wall and the front of the rafters (and the external noggins), no two measurements are the same.

E.g. front wall external noggins are as follows: 12mm, 12.5mm, 12.9mm, 12.8mm, 11.7mm. The plywood roof is in place and screwed down. It largely meets the front of the noggins/rafters, but not by any means universally. In places it overhangs by almost 10mm, ranging from 1mm upwards. However, just to complicate things, the overhang of the roof ply doesn't marry up with the variation in the length of the noggins. E.g. One of the back wall external noggins which is 12.8mm long sits perfectly flush with the roof ply. The next two noggins along are 9mm and 10mm shorter than that, but the overhang of the roof is just 3mm and 2mm respectively. So if I build up the front of the noggins so that they are all the same length from the wall (for my soffit board), some will protrude beyond the edge of the roof.

What do I do?? 

My plan for the fascia is to fit upvc facia board (don't shoot me, I just can't womanhandle fascia boards 4.8m long and fix them in place - upvc is lighter!). All and any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks!

Workshop_noggin_detail.pdf

However you decide to tackle it 

Your facias will need to be straight 

So I would simply pack the facias where needed You can always foam up any gaps 

Which the roof covering will hide 

Main thing is that your facias are nice and straight 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nod said:

Main thing is that your facias are nice and straight 

My current nightmare,  trying to get our facia straight.  At the moment it's as straight and level as a propeller. If ours was as straight as yours I'd be happy as Larry, @Omnibuswoman.

Your  few mm here or there... pah! When I get back from the gym, I'll take a photo that should cheer your Sunday morning up....

• Haha 1

I think part of the problem has been that when we cut the noggins, the wood was extremely wet, but not universally so. As it has dried, I suspect some rafters have dried more than others, leaving such a lot of discrepancy. 

The other explanation is that HWMBO is crap at measuring and cutting, but he had my mum supervising so that's the less likely of the two options.

Luckily we have an old MDF wardrobe here in pieces waiting to go to the dump - I can cut the fibreboard back of the wardrobe into strips and use these to build up the gap between the front of the shorter noggins and the roofline. Or in the case of bigger gaps, some bits of 9mm ply. Any gap between the back of the soffit and the wall can be to some degree disguised by the cladding, and a bit of trim at the end.

41 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I think part of the problem has been that when we cut the noggins, the wood was extremely wet, but not universally so. As it has dried, I suspect some rafters have dried more than others, leaving such a lot of discrepancy. 

The other explanation is that HWMBO is crap at measuring and cutting, but he had my mum supervising so that's the less likely of the two options.

Luckily we have an old MDF wardrobe here in pieces waiting to go to the dump - I can cut the fibreboard back of the wardrobe into strips and use these to build up the gap between the front of the shorter noggins and the roofline. Or in the case of bigger gaps, some bits of 9mm ply. Any gap between the back of the soffit and the wall can be to some degree disguised by the cladding, and a bit of trim at the end.

Even the roof trusses on-site that are precut and only need lining in arnt always in line You often see plastic packers behind the facias 

I’ve marked and cut loads of joists ends and always have to put the odd packer in 

You will see how small of an issue it is once you start to get your facia on 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

Luckily we have an old MDF wardrobe here

Ahh, old bits of MDF ... just imagine what Val Singleton  could have made with your old wardrobe..... and earned a living showing us all the ones she made earlier. Bless. 

• Haha 1

MDF...my FiL thought it'd be a good idea to make a "shed" from an old greenhouse. First he clad it in MDF. Then he tacked on green mineral felt. Did the floor and roof with MDF too.

Abject failure. Think wet cardboard. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

New question: On the south side of the building (the direction towards which the pent roof slopes down), we need to put a baton along the edge of the roof so that there is a small overhang to allow water to run off into the gutter. (see attached picture)

Do we fit the baton on top of the fascia at that side, or cut the fascia shallower to butt up against the underside of the baton?

IMG_9338.pdf

43 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

New question: On the south side of the building (the direction towards which the pent roof slopes down), we need to put a baton along the edge of the roof so that there is a small overhang to allow water to run off into the gutter. (see attached picture)

Do we fit the baton on top of the fascia at that side, or cut the fascia shallower to butt up against the underside of the baton?

IMG_9338.pdf 14.62 MB · 4 downloads

I'd do this ideally, albeit with the guttering further forward to limit overshoot (couldn't be ar5ed redrawing ?). The fascia wants to help support the roof edge and the batten will further stiffen it:

gut_001.thumb.jpg.a293efa40b180b05860b410e76825d55.jpg

You normally put a string line from front to back, pull it tight and it will show you which rafters stick out the most. 

If you have a whopper that sticks out loads trim it off, if you have a few that are short then shim these out. 

You can fit your backing facia ply with nails and nails and then tap it out until straight, this will leave a gap which shows you the size of shim needed, add shim and a blob of no nails to stop it slipping. 0EBF0C17-6E15-45DD-8A5F-F77D759ADB77.thumb.jpeg.90a66092b082d491489b1fc3425ffa14.jpeg

imagine your line on the end and trim accordingly.