Help identifying wall material

Williamz

Hi all,

New member here, and keen DIYer.

I’m looking for help with my current project. I’m installing a shotgun safe - it will be bolted into solid wood floors, which has worked fine,  but then I’m bolting the back of it to my wall.

I assumed the wall was plasterboard, and bought GRIP-IT plasterboard fixings, which I’m very familiar with having used them on other walls.

I drilled the 25mm hole, however, found the wall was 3cm thick, followed by a cavity (1 inch), followed by some insulation.

I have never seen plasterboard this thick, and can’t find anything online about such thickness plasterboard. The material is chalky like plasterboard.

As I thought it was plasterboard, I then bought the GRIP-IT undercutting tool to try and carve out a channel for the product’s “wings” as the wall was too deep for standard fixings, however, this hasn’t worked - the wings don’t have space to open! That’s the reason why in the photo attached appears to have a channel/void.

Could anyone please advise:

1) what building material this is?

2) the strongest way I can bolt into it?

Thank you in advance!

William

6C6746C6-0E9A-42F9-851D-6672D1CE16C3.jpeg

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

Has you licencing officer told you that is ok as a location ..? Local one here wouldn’t b

pass that. 

No way that would pass by my local firearms officer, I thought it had to be bolted to a solid external wall. 

Double boarded plasterboard for sound insulation?  As above, you really need something solid to fix to.  Can you find a stud?

I built-in some 6×2 noggins in a stud wall to coach-bolt to.  I reckon it's as good as fixing to blockwork.