Non integrated but hidden washing machine

willbish

Every integrated washing machine I've had the displeasure of using eventually moves enough that the door ends up clattering on the adjacent unit when it's on full spin. 

That or the hinges drop.

I'm considering a set up like this picture in the utility room. Any disadvantages to be aware of? Other than losing an extra 50mm each side

integrated-washing-machine-doors-open.jpg

• Thanks 1

The kitchen people supplied a 670mm wide cupboard for our laundry room that the washer and dryer are inside. The cupboard was also deeper than normal and all the other cupboards had to set a little away from the wall, so you do lose a bit of space.

It looks tidy when not in use, but I actually find the washing machine door behind the cupboard door to be a bit of a pain and often wish that there were no doors on the cupboard. Basically I don't like the way the washing machine doors bangs into the cupboard door when open. Also the cupboard doors are a bit in the way when loading the machine.

You can close the door when the washing machine is running, but if you have a heat pump dryer it requires ventilation so the for has to be left open.

One thing to watch is what side is the door hinged on and make sure that the cupboard is hinged on the same side, unless you have a split door like you have shown. One thing that I don't like in our room is that the washing machine happened to be hinged on the side closest o the door, I don't think it would be so annoying if the door was on the far side as you come into the room, whereas the door is between you and the machine in our layout.

TBH I am not sure it is worth it, it is after all a utility room, no surprise to see a washing machine in there.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AliG said:

TBH I am not sure it is worth it, it is after all a utility room, no surprise to see a washing machine in there.

Agreed. We are going to put non-integrated laundry machines under the worktop in our utility room with no doors. Just need to find some rubber matting to sit them on to absorb some of the vibration.

10 hours ago, willbish said:

I'm considering a set up like this picture in the utility room.

That is a brilliant idea, when I used to fit kitchens I used to advise against built in washing machines because there was no “wobble room”. My neighbours new kitchen was shaken to bits by his machine (I didn’t tell him “I told you so”).

• 3 weeks later...

We have provisioned for the washer and dryer to be "integrated" like this, as our utility is in an open plan area.  I hope to have a modest sound reduction from the cabinet, perhaps lined in tecosound or something to add mass and cover air gaps in the cabinets.  Unsure on HP or Condenser dryer and the impact that has on needing cupboard ventilation at the moment, there is a route to have it vent into an airing cupboard but that probably isn't ideal.

I am expecting it to be less convenient to add detergent as the drawer will be set back in the cabinet, I don't really want to remove the drawer to add detergent, might men decanting washing liquids into dispensers with straws / nozzles.  We really want noise reduction, but this was the only place for the utility, so hoping it all works out.

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

Only issue I can see is that you can't get to the filter at the bottom of the machine to clear it....

Not all machines have a cleanable filter at the base!. (Mine does and it’s great to have). Easy enough to have a removable piece of kickboard to access the filter if you need too. 

A few issues with that proposal:

You will need deeper kitchen units, most full size machines need every mm of the 600mm depth so so sit behind the kick board like that the units will have to be deeper or you will need one of those "half depth" low capacity machines.

The 2 hinged doors, ONE of them will get in the way while loading or unloading it.

I would only do this if you have to have the machine in a kitchen.  In a utility room I like the simplicity and honesty of the machine on show.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 22:07, willbish said:

Every integrated washing machine I've had the displeasure of using eventually moves enough that the door ends up clattering on the adjacent unit when it's on full spin. 

That or the hinges drop.

I'm considering a set up like this picture in the utility room. Any disadvantages to be aware of? Other than losing an extra 50mm each side

integrated-washing-machine-doors-open.jpg

Is that down a step?

If so, a PITA to get out. 

Have the double doors and make sure the hinges go all the way back to open 180deg. We had a lovely unit like this in our last place without the plinth. 

Will probably do the same once we get round to the utility here.

If I ever do an integrated washing machine again it will be on a solid concrete floor and have insulation to the sides and rear so it doesn’t vibrate the kitchen to bits when it hits the sides.

On 16/07/2021 at 22:07, willbish said:

....Any disadvantages to be aware of? ...

Put it on a plinth (concrete or very heavy ply ) so that you can;

• drain the pump completely and easily
  • load and unload the damn thing without too much bending
  • read the display more easily
  • pull the machine out to get access to perished  / kinked supply and waste lines
  • shove the washing basket in the gap under the machine while its washing
  • if its tucked away behind a pair of doors, use hinges that open wide (180 degrees?)