Downdraft extractor

Guest Alphonsox

The one in the picture looks like a Bora Basic surface induction model. 

The Bora Basic comes in number of forms take a look at the following link for details.  https://www.bora.com/en/bora-products/bora-basic/

The top end surface induction Basic models do go well into the £3k region (BFIA/BFIU). Cheapest are the ceramic versions (BHA/BHU) with the standard induction (BIU/BIA) in the middle starting at around £2K.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, ryder72 said:

I havent checked exact specs but I wont be surprised if the Miele hood is a Faber sourced one. If you want a decent product for a decent price  consider Siemens/Neff.

Has to be a down extractor though 

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2017 at 10:10, ryder72 said:

Actually the Bora is a good product at that price point and a hard one to beat. Siemens are about to launch a very similar product. I dont know anything else at this point on the pricing but expect it to undercut Bora.

The problem with all of the above is that you will have only 4 cooking zones and this also applied to the Gutmann Mesa or Abajo. Both are superb products (have seen them in action) but a little bit dearer than Bora. I trust Gutmann as a manufacturer so I would quite blindly buy any Gutmann product in the knowledge that its engineering is hard to beat. I can get some pricing for your on the MEsa and Abajo if you like. PM me.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but we met our builder yesterday and extractors came up in discussion.

Is this the siemens product?

https://donaghybros.co.uk/cooking/built-in/hobs/siemens-ex875lx34e-induction-hob.html?fo_c=876&fo_k=622b05d8d47fcb71c39d037e071bde31&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKCAjwuITNBRBFEiwA9N9YEGZh7D74v6qaFgor9R6mXdNeMBvMwKw0zCmrkhYs6ZIFzavIw3w02BoCTc8QAvD_BwE

Yes. Same thing with 4 names for Bosch, neff, Siemens and gaggenau. And they might even contract manufacture it for someone

This is the next big market so lots of players in it.

Edited by ryder72
spelling

I dont know is the honest answer. This type of extractor is an attempt to eliminate even the 30-35cm height rise that a downdraft has from the worktop to create genuine barrier free extraction.

Fundamentally all extractors that rise out of the worktop are attempting to defy physics in some way, shape or form. Whether this works effectively or not is dependent not only on the extractor but the rest of the installation as well (ducting length, type of ducting etc.)

Bora claims to be the first company to have approached this from an accelerated air speed perspective rather than an air volume drawn out perspective and gone and created a market from nothing. Others companies have followed suit and one of the early challengers to Bora was Gutmann.

I am having a Gutmann hood in my house which broadly works on the Bora principle rather than a downdraft principally because -

A. I have never liked the look of downdrafts

B. I am not ducting out contrary to my original plans so decided against a ceiling recessed extractor which would have been an unnecessary addition to the ceiling

C. I trust Gutmann as an old fashioned hardcore engineering German company more than anyone else. They are not the cheapest products around but they are made to be bomb proof. I have seen data on the performance of Gutmann vs other products working on the Bora principle and Gutmann outperformed others.