Pipe joining

jfb

I'm trying to join these two pipes together. The 110mm plastic pipe is about 200mm below the original clay pipe.

Any ideas on the best way to join the two?

I could chip away round the clay pipe enough to get a rubber collar around it i guess.

And what about once I can get around the clay pipe - is it just a question of a couple of angled 110mm joints or is there some flexible rubber option that might do the job easier?

IMG_0714.jpg

Edited by jfb

Chipping away at that clay pipe will likely just see it disintegrate, so you’ll probably need to dig it out, cut it clean with a grinder, and reconnect with a rubber clay > PVC union. You then take new PVC pipe into the chamber and connect with an offset 15 or 30 degree bend going into a long radius bend if you have room for it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

What is the hole for?

can you turn the whole thing into an inspection chamber ?

is it no two’s or rainwater ?

It is an overflow chamber for the septic tank. I’ve replaced a failed pipe with the plastic. Previous pipe came out from the very bottom of the chamber and my new one comes in just above it. 
the whole chamber has been buried under a fair bit of earth so would require a fair bit of landscaping or raising if it was to become an inspection chamber. 

I think what Russel meant was - do you need to join the two pipes or simply allow one to flow into the chamber and then the excess will flow out of the new pipe.

Not that you would need to keep looking into it.

Edited by markc

To deal with the alignment i would try using two fixed bends and a short length of pipe first. There are adjustable bends but not sure if others approve of their use. Normally they are buried in the ground which provides support..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-adjustable-bend-0-90-110mm/14451?tc=IB6&ds_kid=92700055281954505&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=CjwKCAjw3MSHBhB3EiwAxcaEu1RK45UZ0tkaHJtzTJZ7lSTpk_nEEu5kpYt2C1btrDPyvjLmux2vgBoCH10QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

12 hours ago, markc said:

I think what Russel meant was - do you need to join the two pipes or simply allow one to flow into the chamber and then the excess will flow out of the new pipe.

Not that you would need to keep looking into it.

I think that sounds like best idea.

Just seal around where the new pipe comes in and put a cover over the top.

I ended up replacing the whole pipe that goes from tank to this chamber.  Probably for the best as it wasn’t in the best state! 
Thanks for all the advice