Help with purchasing this screw

steveoelliott

A little smaller than I thought.

It may be an M3 x 8mm Counter sunk Socket (Internal Hex) (but it could be an M3.5 or M4)

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Bolts-Screws-Metric/Socket-Head-Countersunk-Screw-M3x8-A2-Stainless.html

You have to buy 60 from the link above, you'll likely find smaller amounts on eBay.

Can you measure the thread diameter, is it 3mm, 3.5mm or 4mm?

• Like 1

Looks like M3..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-x-8-mm-CSK-C-S-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-COUNTERSUNK-HEAD-SCREWS-HEXAGON-HEX-SOCKET/291820450318?hash=item43f1dab20e:g:Yd0AAMXQTghRNiUK&pageci=310f8fb6-95c5-4e0b-9d4a-d597c6e5d6ff&redirect=mobile

If the screw feels very loose then don't over tighten. Try M4.

M3.5 isn't a standard size but might be some available.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markc said:

I will be back in our workshop either tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning. I will have a look what we have and assuming we do have some I can pop a few in the post to you.

That would be awesome Mark. If you have 6 to spare then PM me and let me know what I owe you. Otherwise i'll buy a bulk load.

I measured the shaft size and to my rather untrained eyes it looks to be 3mm.

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

To check if it’s M3.5 or M3 just remove a face plate screw from a light switch and try it carefully in the hole. They are M3.5.  

It wouldn't reach the back box for sure but having pulled a spare socket screw, I can see it looks a whisker narrower. Maybe it is 3.5.

16 minutes ago, markc said:

@steveoelliott had a look in my workshop, I have 2 M3x8 in black with Philips head. If they are any use pm your address and I will send them.

image.jpg

Thanks Mark... Actually after comparing with some grub screws mine are definitely m4's. Do you have any of these kicking about? If not I'll purchase some online.

15 minutes ago, steveoelliott said:

Thanks Mark... Actually after comparing with some grub screws mine are definitely m4's. Do you have any of these kicking about? If not I'll purchase some online.

only cap heads in M4