Curved solar panels, recommendations?

Claire B

I've been in my nissen hut conversion 4 years now and would like to add solar panels and battery back up (thinking Tesla Powerwall) so I can be more self sufficient. I asked the farmer if I could buy some land to put the panels on (ground mounted) as my roof faces either east or west. He said he'd sell me some land (at 30k for half an acre!)  but why don't I just put panels along the ridge line of the roof. My roof is curved. He said he'd found some curved panels on eBay for his shepherds hut but I'd need something more substantial here. Could anyone recommend any? The roof is zinc, would they just attach to the seams? It would be great if this could work as you wouldn't see them. The roof has Velux windows but they're on either side  and there's a good 2 meters between them over the top. 

IMG_6568.jpg

You would need planning permission to put more than, I think 9m² on the ground.

If your roof is neither East or West facing, where does it face, downwards?

You could just fit regular modules, they are a metre wide, so probably not much of a gap at either side.

If your plot is not large, why not consider going back to the farmer on he land anyway.

Perhaps either 30k for a larger area, or less for the half-acre. He won' expect to get his asking price.

You never know when it could be useful. 

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You would need planning permission to put more than, I think 9m² on the ground.

If your roof is neither East or West facing, where does it face, downwards?

You could just fit regular modules, they are a metre wide, so probably not much of a gap at either side.

Yes I was prepared for the planning permission if going with ground mounted. I might get away with the roof mounting without planning as long as they can't be seen. 

Roof faces East or west (either, not neither). Along the ridge they would be facing straight up if I put flat panels on there. I think a curve would capture more sun. 

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If your plot is not large, why not consider going back to the farmer on he land anyway.

Perhaps either 30k for a larger area, or less for the half-acre. He won' expect to get his asking price.

You never know when it could be useful. 

Its a few acres so not small but the plant room is at the northern end of the property and I want the solar to be close to that for efficiency and also didn't want to see the panels from my windows. I can always buy more if I want it but don't see a need if I can get panels on the roof. 

23 minutes ago, Claire B said:

My roof is curved. He said he'd found some curved panels on eBay for his shepherds hut but I'd need something more substantial here. Could anyone recommend any? The roof is zinc, would they just attach to the seams? 

On a flat standing seam roof, you can fit directly off the seam using something like:

https://s-5.com/products/solar-panels-on-metal-roof-pvkit-2-0/

You could still use the S-5 clamps on your curved roof, but you need to build up a frame from them to get the panel mountings flat.

https://f.hubspotusercontent00.net/hubfs/3482954/Resources/Product Documents/Clamps/S-5-E/s-5-e-clamps-brochure.pdf

You tend to go "landscape" with the PV modules on standing seam (when you mount directly), so they cross at least a couple of seams, This would avoid them lifting too far away from the roof and allowing the wind to get underneath.

Alternatively, how about thin flexible PV modules, bonded directly to the Zinc?

To show an example (but don't know the product or company):
https://www.solarshop.co.uk/flexible-solar-panel#!/Miasole-120Wp-Peel-and-Stick-Flexible-Solar-Panel-5-year-warranty/p/202039294/category=19470179

I did try to source something similar for my own roof a couple of years ago, but I could only find them on Alibaba etc. Perhaps there are other options now. If you find a solution that isn't ridiculously expensive, then please post back, I may be interested myself.

Edited by IanR

10 minutes ago, IanR said:

On a flat standing seam roof, you can fit directly off the seam using something like:

https://s-5.com/products/solar-panels-on-metal-roof-pvkit-2-0/

You could still use the S-5 clamps on your curved roof, but you need to build up a frame from them to get the panel mountings flat.

https://f.hubspotusercontent00.net/hubfs/3482954/Resources/Product Documents/Clamps/S-5-E/s-5-e-clamps-brochure.pdf

You tend to go "landscape" with the PV modules on standing seam (when you mount directly), so they cross at least a couple of seams, This would avoid them lifting too far away from the roof and allowing the wind to get underneath.

Alternatively, how about thin flexible PV modules, bonded directly to the Zinc?

To show an example (but don't know the product or company):
https://www.solarshop.co.uk/flexible-solar-panel#!/Miasole-120Wp-Peel-and-Stick-Flexible-Solar-Panel-5-year-warranty/p/202039294/category=19470179

I did try to source something similar for my own roof a couple of years ago, but I could only find them on Alibaba etc. Perhaps there are other options now. If you find a solution that isn't ridiculously expensive, then please post back, I may be interested myself.

Thanks Ian, Those flexible 'stick on' panels would be great if they'd work, your link shows them on a curved roof like mine. Just need to find a supplier and fitter. This is what the farmer used on his shepherds hut.  The site is very exposed and we get much more wind here then our neighbours tucked away within the village. I'd be worried about the wind getting under the clamped on panels. I'd also need to check that wouldn't invalidate my roof warranty. 

Have you any plans for a garage or another outbuilding you could put them on? Actually I think they might need PP on an outbuilding?

Edited by Temp