What is the definition of communism?

Last month the Pollitt Bureau at 10 Downing Street decreed that the moratorium on evictions for non payment of rent on commercial properties has been extended for 9 months. The estimated £5 billion of unpaid rent debt has in effect been rolled over for another 9 months.

I am not posting to suggest this is a bad decision but clearly Covid has shaken the economy to the extent that government by central diktat is the only way to stop the wheels falling off this Nation State. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

49 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

... but clearly Covid has shaken the economy to the extent that government by central diktat is the only way to stop the wheels falling off this Nation State. 

Maslow's heirarchy. 

If you can't live safely, then financial well-being has to assume a lower priority. I worked for a good few years in a Communist society before the Berlin Wall came down. 30 years ago, Erich Hoeneker and his cronies were every bit as venal, mendacious and manipulative as our current crew. Absolutely nobody believed anything coming out of Erich's office

Well last week some of the press were apparently calling English footballers getting paid £180k per week Marxists so to be honest I have no idea what anything means any more.

14 hours ago, Ralph said:

Well last week some of the press were apparently calling English footballers getting paid £180k per week Marxists so to be honest I have no idea what anything means any more.

Yes exactly @Ralph . The slur's the thing isn't it. If it sounds nasty enough that'll do fine thanks. Performative politics isn't confined to Marjorie Taylor Greene or Alexander Johnson

Your comment made me think. I should have written '... nominally Communist ... ' above rather than merely Communist . I worked with  nominally Marxist Leninist Communists every day in the 80s. You couldn't have wished for a better or more capitalist business partner . Except when it came to the final contract financial calculations. There, the simplest, crudest of arithmetic miscalculations always fell in their favour.

One day, I lost it, and in a formal business meeting and in the presence of someone whom I later found out was a KGB operative, asked why the miscalculations always favoured their Peoples Own Company.

My East German colleague flushed red and answered , "In the final analysis, sir,  your company is a Class Enemy, because Capitalism has to be replaced."

Later that day, I got a good kicking from my boss for asking that question in a formal context: our business partner could only ever have responded as he (they) did. With his political boss in the room, he had no choice.

The slur's the thing, even at national level. Class Enemy indeed. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Your comment made me think. I should have written '... nominally Communist ... ' above rather than merely Communist . I worked with  nominally Marxist Leninist Communists every day in the 80s. You couldn't have wished for a better or more capitalist business partner . Except when it came to the final contract financial calculations. There, the simplest, crudest of arithmetic miscalculations always fell in their favour.

In the late 90s my brother opened an ad agency in Beijing. It was amazing to see how rampantly capitalist the Chinese actually were, especially with the added corruption and cronyisim honed by communism.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lorenz said:

.... It isn't helped by subsidies and grants which just aid this behaviour.

Realpolitik in action. Do as I say, not do as I do. At some point everyone has to come into stark contact with reality. The question is, how well is reality hidden? And from whom does it need to be hidden?

Daily Mail readers for a low-level start.

• Like 1

I don't believe that there is a pure capitalist or communist society anywhere in the world. Plenty claim (or claimed) to be one or the other but most are shades of grey. 

Most of the pontification is for public consumption while the reality goes on in the background.

Animal Farm addressed this perfectly.

• Like 1

Was reminded of this thread, by a video on another..

If we extrapolate current trends in the housing market, the government will have more and more to do with house ownership, and maybe, will become the mortgage company at some point, as the banks become ever more unhappy at lending on property. They already are involved with sometimes 50% of the notional value of a new house in their hands.

As council tax continues to rise, it will increasingly devalue the potential rent a property owner can demand, much the same as fuel duty currently. I wonder with rents in parts of London dropping so much, whether the councils there will be allowed to up tax to make up the difference?

Looking at it this way, it does look like the state will take control or be forced to, to offset a financial collapse as mooted in aforementioned video?

On 12/07/2021 at 17:12, ToughButterCup said:

Maslow's heirarchy. 

If you can't live safely, then financial well-being has to assume a lower priority. I worked for a good few years in a Communist society before the Berlin Wall came down. 30 years ago, Erich Hoeneker and his cronies were every bit as venal, mendacious and manipulative as our current crew. Absolutely nobody believed anything coming out of Erich's office

maslow was full of $hit.

money not a motivator. what a crock.

Hmmm, full of [...]  a bit harsh. 

He was writing just before the end of the Second World War. And much has changed since then.

But, consider this. If we use Maslow's ideas as a starting point for our own thinking, then - at least it's a start. I'm OK with the notion: I can't think about working on my self-build until I've had enough sleep, eaten a sensible meal and I'm not in fear of my life..... It fits my life experience, but I wouldn't be able to generalise that without M's help. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

The US, bastion of capitalism that it is, has Fannie May and Freddie Mac who are Federally backed mortgage lenders.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/fannie-mae-freddie-mac-credit-crisis.asp

I can imagine something like that here soon, just like they set up the bond companies for rentals, that is not something to look forward to!