Costs for timber frame house build

AnnaKH

Hi, can anyone suggest an accurate way of getting a build cost for a closed panel timber frame kit house? I'm comparing some companies that offer supply and erect with supply only, but in order to have a clear comparison, I need to get an accurate idea of how much the build costs will be. I also don't want to commit to a design if it ends up costing loads to build! I've asked several companies to quote, and a couple have replied saying they'd need to see planning and building warrant drawings to give an estimate. But by that point we'll have committed to what we're building ? Any help appreciated!

I don't think that planning is too specific on construction type, more looks and size.

You can make any build method look like any other, except a glass monolith.

The only way to get a price is to sit down, work out the components and price to fit them, and add them all up. There is no magic formula, it is about the legwork.

Just now, markc said:

As above, do you know what you want to build? what shape? size? spec? materials etc.? until then you (or any other individual or company) cannot price whats in your head.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've sent a few builders the kit house we're considering, which shows shape, size, spec of kit etc. Is that likely enough for a firm to produce a quote from?

19 minutes ago, AnnaKH said:

I'm comparing some companies that offer supply and erect with supply only, but in order to have a clear comparison, I need to get an accurate idea of how much the build costs will be.

And in return they need an accurate idea of what you're building to give you a quote. 

Even with approved drawings, my TF quotes were very variable and it took some time to baseline them as each had bespoke inclusions / exclusions.

My opinion is that unless you are very constrained on costs, it's best to get the supplier to erect (and some go as far as doing the foundation slab, pumping insulation, ensuring airtightness, felting the roof, all internal floor decks & walls, temp stairs etc) as

a) it will be much quicker than using a separate team unfamiliar with the system or DIY

b) supply and fit is zero rated whereas just supply will have VAT applied that you will need to claim back, but only when the project is complete so may impact cashflow

c) they will have more liability for the finished article vs having an argument over who screwed up them or your installers

I'd say the same for most of a build especially windows & doors.

Remember also that the structure, whether timber, ICF or blocks only represents a slice of your build cost, maybe 20-25%. Everything else will be the same irrespective of the structure.

2 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

And in return they need an accurate idea of what you're building to give you a quote. 

Even with approved drawings, my TF quotes were very variable and it took some time to baseline them as each had bespoke inclusions / exclusions.

My opinion is that unless you are very constrained on costs, it's best to get the supplier to erect (and some go as far as doing the foundation slab, pumping insulation, ensuring airtightness, felting the roof, all internal floor decks & walls, temp stairs etc) as

a) it will be much quicker than using a separate team unfamiliar with the system or DIY

b) supply and fit is zero rated whereas just supply will have VAT applied that you will need to claim back, but only when the project is complete so may impact cashflow

c) they will have more liability for the finished article vs having an argument over who screwed up them or your installers

I'd say the same for most of a build especially windows & doors.

Remember also that the structure, whether timber, ICF or blocks only represents a slice of your build cost, maybe 20-25%. Everything else will be the same irrespective of the structure.

Thanks for this, that's really helpful. Our preference is to go with a company that will supply and erect, for all of the reasons you outline. However there's one supplier (Scotframe) which seems to have a good closed panel kit but which only does supply. I'm still waiting on quotes from a few kit companies but would be good to know build costs of the TF if we decide to go with the Scotframe kit.